LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loaded Instrument Driver not showing up in the functions palatte...

I used the "Find an Instrument Driver" interface in LabVIEW to find the drivers for my USB TDS2014B oscilloscope.  Simple enough.  However, the VIs are not showing up in my functions palatte.  I would expect it to be on the "Instrument Drivers" sub-menu under Measurement I/O like the other ones that I've made using the wizard.

The folder is in National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\instr.lib\Tektronix TDS 200 100 2000 Series\

And there is a Public folder.  i've tried restarting LabVIEW.  What gives?  What should I do?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,765 Views)
In LV7.1 you would select : Tools - Advanced - Edit palette views.  Select the palette and you can add to it.  Don't have 8.5, but I'm sure there is a similar function.
Jim

LV 2020
Message 2 of 11
(5,758 Views)
Loading that dialog box, saving and closing it seemed to do the trick.  When I went to that particular palatte menu it was an item within the editor.  I didn't have to "add it" or anything like that.  Thats weird...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,755 Views)
It's been so long since I added a driver library I forgot that LV scans the driver folder when it loads.
Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,750 Views)
Yep, it should automatically rescan instr.lib and user.lib, but for some reason 8.5 doesn't. 8.2.1 still does. Here, as an example, are the instructions how to add the Keithley 24XX drivers to the Instrument Drivers palette in 8.5 yourself. Will work for any instrument driver package with similar file structure.

1. Go to Tools/Advanced/Edit Palette Set

2. On the Functions Pallete that will pop up go to Instrument I/O/Instr Drivers. The only item there will be Agilent 34401. Right-click in the space next to it and select Insert/Subpalette..

3. In the Insert Subpalette dialog select “Link to palette file in a project library (.lvlib)” and click on the OK button.

4. By this point I assume you already have Keithley 24XX as a subfolder of the <LabVIEW 8.5>\instr.lib directory. So, in the “Select a LabVIEW library (.lvlib) file” dialog point to the Keithley 24XXX.lvlib file from the <LabVIEW 8.5>\instr.lib\Keithley 24XX folder and click OK.

5. In the “Select Menu from Project Library File” dialog select dir.mnu and click OK. The Keythley 24XX subpalette should appear in the Instrument Drivers palette.

6. In the “Edit Controls and Functions Palette Set” dialog click on the Save Changes.

Message 5 of 11
(5,704 Views)
WOW.  Isn't it great how "upgrades" make life easier Smiley Very Happy
Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,695 Views)
This is a known issue in LabVIEW 8.5. You should complete the following steps to fix the issue:
  1. Make sure that the contents of the zipped file containing the instrument driver are extracted to the directory ...Program Files\National Instruments\labview 8.5\instr.lib.
  2. Open up the LabVIEW project file contained in the extracted instrument driver folder.
  3. Right click the project and select "Mass Compile.
  4. Completely exit out of LabVIEW, and then start it again.  Now the instrument driver VI should appear on the functions palette.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,631 Views)
Oh, your way looks simpler!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,623 Views)
For future reference, the CAR (Corrective Action Request) ID that is related to this issue is 4CU8G3ZQ. This issue has been fixed in future releases of LabVIEW.
Sarah S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,591 Views)
In LV 8.6.1 is there any way to rescan without exiting labview? I'd rather not have to close my 10 open VI's to add an instrument driver to one of them...
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,804 Views)