From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listbox as string indicator and control

Hi,
    Me and my group at school for a project are trying to find a sloution to the following problem:
what we want to do is be able to send strings to a display like a sting indicator but also be able to change the color of the strings on the fly and not change the entire display. Also we want the display to act like a control so that when one string is selected one can press a button to get more information on the selected string.

We have tried using sting controls but we can not select individual stings and can not change just one line's color (they all change)
A listbox would be perfect but we can not figure out how send strings to it to be displayed.

Or is there an other way to do this??

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,181 Views)

if you want to send strings to a list box.  On the block diagram, right click on the listbox icon select Create>Property Node>Item Names.

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,168 Views)
I know about the property node for Itemname, but will we be able to send a string to it so it can be displayed in realtime?

The project is a client server architecture in which the client sends commands via TCP/IP to a remot PC to diagnose the connected devices and send back to the client in the form of strings the status of the devices to be displayed. The status(s) can be selected and then another button is pressed to give further information on the selected device.

So, I guess what we are asking is whether the server can send to the client strings to the list box to be displayed for the currently connected devices such as: mouse, network card, video card, keyboard, and so on.... (the dll to do the devices dtection is working and integrated into labview.)

Thanks,
SUNY Binghamton University Senior Project group 33
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,160 Views)

I just tried what your describing using two of the NI supplied examples.

Using Multiple Connections -Server.vi, I sent a string.  On the Multiple Connections - Client 1.vi I created a listbox and a property node Item Names.  I sent a string from the server and it added it to the listbox on the client. 

Brian
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,145 Views)
Thank you so much we were able to get it to work perfectly.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,128 Views)