LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List Folder.vi returning 'previous directory' special characters unless marked 'ready for archive'

I ran into a strange bug in the List Folder.vi when using a recursive folder list vi that has been in use for many years.

The List Folder.vi returned two extra folders with special character names '.' and '..', meaning the previous and second previous folders. This results in an infinite loop.

This is only happening on Windows 1809 OS.

A few community posts have popped up in regards to this bug such as in the links listed below. These community posts refer to folder names with special leading characters causing the issue. However, I've found that by marking a folder as 'ready for archiving' the special characters folders disappear form the list returned by List Folder.vi

Has anyone else experienced this? 

The first link provides a short explanation that there was a change to NetBIOS, but there are no links supporting this.

I am running Windows 10, version 1809 (the second link claims this issue is not repeatable in 1709) using LabView 2016.

Did NI add any workarounds to Labview 2018 or '18?

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Recursive-File-List-VI-stuck-in-loop/td-p/3943166/highlight/false/p...

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/List-Folder-Returns-Incorrect-Results-for-Folders-on-Network/td-p/9...

Using Labview 2022, Windows 10
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,820 Views)

Further details:

The folder I attempted to check had two folders named with leading special characters.

Attached are images showing the results of dir commands.

Note that in the first example (First image), there are no folders with names of special characters. .. and . are returned at the start of the list.

In the second example (first image), two folders are named with a preceding and ending '!'. The .. and . are returned following these folders.

In the second image, the same folder is now set as Ready For Archiving = True. The returned output from Dir is the same, so why are the special character folders no longer being returned by List Folder.vi?

Using Labview 2022, Windows 10
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,810 Views)