From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Icon is not being applied to classes created under it

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm playing around with the icon editor in a scratch project.  I created a library (.lvlib) and edited its icon.  When I add a class by right-clicking the library in the project explorer and selecting "New>Class" the icon it has is completely different - looks like a default one to me with a yellow banner and no text.  I created a VI in the same way and its icon does appear to be inherited from the library.

I thought any object that belongs to a library inherits its icon from the library?  Are classes treated differently?  If I open the icon editor for the class and select the Edit menu item the option "Import Icon from Owning Library..." is greyed out and not selectable.  I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything so I suspect I'm doing something wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(390 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author andrewDJ

Hi Andrew,

This is normal because a class redefines its own icon banner, which will be used for its VIs.

The same applies for a library inside a library.

This is also why the option you mentionned in the icon editor is grayed out for a class/library icon.

Regards,

Raphaël.

Message 2 of 4
(357 Views)

Ok, thanks.  It would seem that when NI say in the documentation that all objects in a library inherit the library’s icon, they actually mean some objects, specifically VIs.  Even subclasses don’t inherit the parent class icon, which I guess makes sense as I’ve read somewhere classes are just libraries.

Icon template it is then.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(319 Views)

@andrewDJ wrote:

Ok, thanks.  It would seem that when NI say in the documentation that all objects in a library inherit the library’s icon, they actually mean some objects, specifically VIs.  Even subclasses don’t inherit the parent class icon, which I guess makes sense as I’ve read somewhere classes are just libraries.

Icon template it is then.

I guess that's an artifact. When libraries were created there were no classes, so they only included VIs and Ctls, all of which got the icon. 🙂

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(299 Views)