From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning NXG 4.0

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey Everybody. I'm teaching myself Labview NXG using the online examples and learning resources from NI, which I find only slightly useful. I also bought a Labview book before I realized that NXG was a new version of the software. I think they are close enough that the book is useful, but I wonder what all of you would tell me about the wisdom of using Labview teaching resources to build my skills in NXG. My application is building ATE systems in RF, fiber optics and microwave engineering, reading data from the test equipment, storing data in txt files suitable for transferring to Excel, performing some basic statistical evaluation of the data, etc. The only other software packages I've used in the last few years are Visual Basic and Python. Never used anything starting with "C". Any suggestions, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated ("WBGA"). 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,183 Views)

Hi Larstar, I don't have any suggestions specific to NXG. It does not yet have all the features of current gen LabVIEW (like LabVIEW 2019). Is anything preventing you from using LabVIEW 2019?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,146 Views)

Hi larstar4,

Do you have access to NI training through your NI account? There is a LabVIEW NXG Core 1, which is the LabVIEW NXG equivalent to the LabVIEW Core 1. That might be a good place to start. See if the below links lets you access the NXG Core 1 course:

LabVIEW NXG Core 1: Acquire, Analyze, Visualize

https://learn.ni.com/training/resources/1270

Thanks,

Frank

Message 3 of 12
(4,135 Views)

Hi Gregory. Thanks for your reply! I've done some work for a client that has a not-too-complex NXG-based ATE system doing screening tests on mm-wave sources. To get more work, I want to convince them I know enough about Labview to quickly grow into ownership of their current solution . I downloaded a copy of the NXG software from NI to my personal computer. It has a free license that will expire at the end of January. That's why I'm working on the NXG 4.0 version. I need to understand state machines, case structures , event controlled operation, txt file handling and data storage, managing queues and writing data to test hardware via USB. I'm making good progress, but a detailed text book with complete explanations would be useful. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,123 Views)

Hi Frank, Thank you for your reply!

I don't really have an NI account. I downloaded a copy of NXG on a temporary free license that expires at the end of January. I looked into available training on the NI web site, but I don't seem to qualify. I've learned a lot from the "teaching" cases embedded in the program, but their explanations can be woefully inadequate. E.g. it took me several days before I understood the difference between "left-side" and "right-side" tunnels and how shift-registers are used. I've looked, but there don't seem to be any teaching books on NXG. Is the community suspicious whether this new version will survive?

Larry

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,119 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author larstar4

Hi Larstar, I think you should be able to get the ideas of certain design patterns (like the state machine) by working off of the LabVIEW examples in your book. Just be aware that some options will have moved or won't be available in NXG, so you might have to come back here and ask "How do I do this in NXG?"

The SSP that was mentioned is the standard service program for LabVIEW. You get it for some time when you purchase LabVIEW (e.g. 1 year) and then have to pay every year to keep it current. This does get you some great training courses online, but is not available if you (or the company you work for) do not own your own version of LabVIEW. I believe you get access to training if you purchase the $400/year LabVIEW basic subscription, but please check with an NI sales rep first.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,106 Views)

Thank you, Gregory. I didn't realize I could get a license for only $400/yr. I'll look into that. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,042 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author larstar4
Message 8 of 12
(3,963 Views)

Hi grkmsngr. Thanks for the tip. I looked at this, but I'm pretty sure it presents a basic introduction to NSG that I've already become familiar with. I think my best approach is adapt the information found in Labview books. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,863 Views)

Being that NXG is now a discontinued product, why are you bothering to learn it?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,145 Views)