LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest SQL Toolkit version???

NI's product website lists the latest version of the SQL toolkit as 5.0. Yet in a previous post ( http://exchange.ni.com/servlet/ProcessRequest?RHIVEID=101&RPAGEID=135&HOID=50650000000800000039250000&UCATEGORY_0=_49_%24_6_&UCATEGORY_S=0 ) A. Rafiq states that the NVARCHAR problem that 'biographie' was experiencing with SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Toolkit 5.0, "is fixed in the new Database Connectivity Toolset". Does anyone know is 5.0 is really the latest and if so, how is this problem fixed in the database connectivity toolkit without resulting in a new version of the SQL toolkit?

Also does anyone know that if I received the Prof Developer's Suite with May 2001 CD's (pre-database connectivity) in August (post database connectivity release)
whether the SSP program (whenever I finally get the registration issues straightened out) will include upgrade to the Database Connectivity Toolset?
i.e. am I going to be able to include inserts and queries to SQL Server 7.0 tables that include the NVARCHAR datatype without spending more $$?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,467 Views)
The Database Connectivity Toolset is a whole new program and different than the SQL Toolkit. The DCT is based on the ActiveX Database Object (ADO). There is an upgrade available from SQL Toolkit to DCT but I don't remember what the price is offhand. I have SSP but that does not cover new products like the DCT. Instead of the SQL Toolkit, what I've been using is LabSQL from Jeffrey Travis at http://www.jeffreytravis.com/lost/. It to uses ADO. My tables only have VARCHAR datatypes so I don't know if that will solve your problem.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,467 Views)
Let me answer the first question. The problem with the old toolkit and SQL Server 7 NVARCHAR was partially because of the fact that when we released the SQL Toolkit, by that time SQL Server 7 didn't existed. Having said this, you can still use the varchar datatype in SQL Server 7 with the old toolkit. The reason new toolkit solved the problem is because we adopted entirely new software layer (from CIN to Microsoft ADO).

I'm not 100% sure but i think if you have SSP program, you should have got the Database connectivity Toolset in it. The good thing about the LabVIEW Database connectivity toolset as opposed to others is that you need very little to no knowledge of SQL to read/write to databases. This gets you started to work productively on your project without
spending time to learn SQL.

Hope and best of luck with your project

A Rafiq
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,467 Views)