LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview vs text based languages - like Python - Pro's, con's and incorporating the two together

Solved!
Go to solution

Thought I would reach out to the LV community to see where people stand on this topic ... Do you face push back on the use of LabVIEW in the workplace from programmers such as those who primarily work in JS, C#, Python, text based environments, lets call them "professional coders" ( not meant to be an insult to the pros in LV.. please read on).  If so, how do you manage this?  Is LV seen as an inferior language in these circles? 

I have been programming in a LabVIEW environment for about 5 years now and really enjoy it.  I've found that the graphical programming methodology has allowed me to "see" inefficiencies in my code structure quickly and allowed me to make higher level architecture decisions that would have taken me much longer to realize in a text based language.  But I do not consider myself a "programmer".  I can make some great, efficient, easy to read programs, but at the end of the day I'm a jack of all trades (master of none).  I didn't go to school for programming, I use my programming skills as a piece of the puzzle to solving an issue and get the job done.  I could be programming a robotic arm one day, or setting up a PLC another, wiring a panel, or sketching up an idea for a mechanical fixture.  I'm sure a formally educated programmer is able to setup an efficient architecture in a text based environment, but I find that for the non-programmer, LabVIEW is a faster way to realize good coding practices.  

Recently I have been told about how great Python is, and when it comes to a text based language, it looks pretty simple.  But through my initial learnings, making nice GUI's seems overly complicated, even more apparent with the juxtaposition of Labview which makes such heavy use of the object oriented programming model.  Possibly Phython is better for making headless programs?  Those that have no need for a GUI?

Maybe the answer is combining both worlds?  Calling the .PY code where it is a more efficient way to get the job done, or when its the easier route to get along with other colleagues who opt for the keyboard over the mouse and don't want to go anywhere near LabVIEW.

What do you think, what have been your experiences in this topic?

Message 1 of 4
(4,552 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim30

LabVIEW 2018 has python support .

(I am a 100% graphical programmer since 1996, (or exactly half of my programming career 🐵 and I no longer touch text based code. LabVIEW is just so much better and allows me to solve any programming task I throw at it.)

We had a similar discussion here recently that touches many of the other point you mentioned, so please start there (posting by phone, will add the link later).

EDIT: Here's the earlier discussion.

Message 2 of 4
(4,521 Views)

I can put together code to make a network analyzer do a sweep faster than you can type "printf".

Well, if you type really slowly.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,488 Views)

I have not done anything in Python, so I am not going to say anything about programming in it specifically.  But Python is an interpretive language, which means it is not compiled.  So there is some performance loss there.

But back in the day, I was a C++ guy.  Since finding LabVIEW, I have only supported old programs or did a quick stint in C for a microcontroller and being stuck with Matlab in grad school.  In my experience, I find LabVIEW a lot easier to follow assuming it is properly written (code not strewn all over the place) when it comes to actual program flow.  But when it comes to some complex math, I just find the C constructs easier to read.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(4,468 Views)