LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview throughput

Hello,

We are considering to purchase Labview for a real-time biomedical application. In this application we need millisecond sychronization. Now I understood that precision of timing events is only +- 5 ms in Labview. Is this indeed the case? We will record max. 8 channels of 500 Hz physiological data and will have to do some heavy duty calculations in real-time on these data.  What is the delay we can expect from Labview?

Regards,

Michiel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,423 Views)
The performance of LabView depend on your hardware. If your hardware is realy fast, you can expect more from LabView. If you have a realtime hardware, and this hardware in fast, i canot see what can stop you. The biggest advantage that you get from LabView, is the fact that LabView is the fastest development system. In less than a week you can have a prototype to work with.

Benoit
Benoit Séguin
Software Designer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,405 Views)
You said "Now I understood that precision of timing events is only +- 5 ms in Labview" - where did you get this information? This is not the case. On a Windows platform pure software timing gets you 1 msec resolution.

Now, there are other factors that are going to affect what you can do. Without more details (i.e., how many samples of data you're collecting and how you're collecting it and what you're doing with this data) it's difficult to gauge "how much of a delay" you can expect from LabVIEW, but if programmed correctly it will not be that much different than, say, C or C++. You will need to split out your applications into at least two sections. One handles all your data processing and is given high priority to make sure you get the fastest data processing you can get. The other half would be your GUI.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,386 Views)