LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview splash screen nuisance pop-up

Yes, I've searched for the subject line contents with no success.

I'm running LabVIEW 8.6.1 and TestStand 4.1.1 on WinXP pro on an 8196 controller in a PXI chassis.  I've got a fairly busy sequence calling quite a few LabVIEW VIs.

I'm used to the traditional behavior of the LabVIEW "Getting Started" splash screen.  It normally pops up when you close the last open VI when running LV by itself, and pops up and down when LV is running "under the control" of TestStand.

Lately, while editing or running a TestStand sequence, it pops up (and steals the window focus) very frequently upon the closure of other non-NI applications (such as my text editor) or on the completion of a test sequence iteration.   It's become a real nuisance, and it gets in the way of normal operation of my test fixture.  It's every bit as bad as web-site pop-ups.

Is there any way to get this under control?  I saw in another thread that there is an option (on MacOS, anyway) to "Skip Navigation Dialog on Launch" under the Miscellaneous Options, but I can't find it, and that really isn't what I'm trying to do anyway.  I'd just like it to stay out of my way.

Thanks in advance for help with this.

-Mark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,007 Views)

The LabVIEW.ini setting you can use is "showNoNavDialog=true". It has undesirable side effects, see this KB entry:

Can I Disable the LabVIEW Getting Started Window

Your other choices are to set your LabVIEW adapter to use the runtime engine instead of the development environment, or to set the individual steps that are causing this 'flicker' to explicitly use the runtime engine. See this post...http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=330&message.id=9852#M9852

This behavior is very annoying to me and my group... 

Message Edited by Phillip Brooks on 07-10-2009 02:27 PM

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 2 of 3
(3,989 Views)

Phillip -

Thanks for that quick response.  I'm going to have to try the various methods because

1.  I call quite a variety of VIs from my TestStand sequence.

2.  I make many VIs move to the top, over TestStand, so the operator can see what's going on.

3.  If LabVIEW is on top and the last VI exits, *bang* there's the splash again.

4.  While many Labview/TestStand characteristics bug me, I really like the ability to debug and single step, so I want to be selective in which steps use the RunTime engine only, at least until I release my tests as deployments.

At first glance, it looks like what I need to do is change the

Properties->Run Options->TestStand Window Activation

to

"If initially active, re-activate when step completes."

...at least for those sequence steps that call "jump to the front" subVIs.

Thanks again for the quick info.

-Mark

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,976 Views)