From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview project explorer to embedded program

I am finishing up a system now, but have run into a huge problem with my final implementation, I was wondering if anyone has ideas. I have a large program which I want to embed on my CFP2010 which does control and datalogging. I need to be able to view this program on the host PC.  The PC is connected to the CFP directly through an ethernet connection not through and internet connection. This program is rather large and has Tab controls in it.  I have another program running on the host PC which plays alarms from wav files, and saves the data aquired to disk. It gets the data through shared variables. All this works in project fine, I can deploy the program to the CFP and run it, I can take the data locally on the host PC no problem. But embedding the program on to the CFP and running has me stumped. I don't know how to acccess the the front panel for the embedded program from the PC. I did this in Labview 6.1 and just called the program from a shortcut, and targeted the FP controller. Now the programs are .rtexe and I can not get them to execute.
Any ideas
Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,715 Views)

Once you convert the code to exe in RT, you cannot access the user interface of that. RT is a head less system so LV removes the front panel once you convert the code to exe. What you can do is use shared variables or datasocket or TCP to transfer the data from RT to host PC and display it in host PC.

Kallis

BR
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,706 Views)
Oops you were using LV 6.1...then communication can be done only through datasocket or TCP. These VIs are available under the communications pallete.
BR
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,704 Views)
Hello TJE,
       You can make your RT application a startup executable, which will start running when the cFP is restarted.  Or you could call the executable programmtically from your Host VI:

1. Open a LabVIEW application reference to the RT controller.

2. Open a VI reference to the top-level VI in the executable. In the case of a top-level VI called RT Engine.vi, the path for the VI reference to open for the default executable location would be c:\ni-rt\startup\startup.exe\RT Engine.vi.

3. Use an Invoke Node or a Call By Reference Node to Run the remote VI.

4. Close the VI reference, then the LabVIEW application reference. If an Invoke Node was used in the previous step, you must be careful about when you close the VI reference.

I also recommend taking a look at the VI Server shipping example.

Cheers,

NathanT
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,682 Views)