LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview not searching for or recognizing directory for a library/dll file only on a specific computer.

Only occurs on specific computer, clean windows 10 install, completely up-to-date LV 2017(32bit) install.

Attempted resolutions:
Repair Install
Complete Reinstall
Loading Lib from multiple locations

Recording of the issue occurring: 

**NOTE**

The problem only occurs on one computer (details below). The application loads the libraries fine on another computer running windows 10 and an additional computer running windows 8.1.

The system details of the computer experiencing the problem are as follows:

Windows 10 Pro

Ver. 10.0.17134 Build 17134

x64-based PC

Intel i7-7700HQ @2.8GHz

Ram: 16GB

OS Drive: M2 SSD 512GB

Storage Drive: 2.5" SSD 1TB

Directories for the DLL's and the library are loaded from a 128GB usb 3.0 flash drive (which works on the two systems mentioned above, but not this one)

Suggestions are appreciated, as this is quite inconvenient.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,038 Views)

It may be a long shot but I have found that some DLL's can not be just copied from one computer to another. They actually need to be installed and "registered" (whatever that means) before LabVIEW or any other application can find them.

Case in point many of our test racks use an electronic load from NH Research. All the NHR LabVIEW vi's depend on the file nhl1_32.dll.  I cannot just copy this dll file over to the target machine, I have to run the NHR installer or LabVIEW will not be able to find this dll no matter where I place it on the machine.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,995 Views)

Unfortunately, the third computer I tested it on (not the one having problems) worked immediately and from the flash drive, with no install.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,991 Views)

Your DLL depends on a secondary DLL (probably the Visual C runtime library). This secondary DLL was installed by some other tool on the computers that work but not on the one where it doesn't work. That is why copying a DLL (or a folder of DLLs) is often not enough to make it work. You also need to install the secondary DLLs onto every computer that you want to use your first DLL on, and installing secondary dependencies does not mean copying them along with your first DLL. That normally will not work as Windows will only search for secondary DLLs in specific locations that the installer of your main DLL should take care of.

If you don't have such an installer you need to pester the provider of your DLL for such an installer. It is their responsibility to create such an installer that makes sure all the necessary dependencies are properly installed on a target computer!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,978 Views)