From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview installation

hello,

can you advise me to the latest Labview version that I need to automate my testing?, this labview that I am looking for is going to be used for test automate using several vendors test equipment, like signal generator, spectrum analyzer and so forth....

do I need Labview 2018 or Labview NXG?

thanks

Shady

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,011 Views)

Hi Shady,

You can talk to a sales engineer to go in-depth about your application. I have not played with NXG a ton yet, but I've heard people have been successful creating small data collection applications. I would still go with current gen LabVIEW for anything moderately complex, as NXG is missing a lot of features right now.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,004 Views)

For a test automation project, use Current Gen LabVIEW.  100 percent!

NXG is simply not at a point where I would recommend using it for projects that have a lifetime cycle greater than a few years.  Automated tests tend to stick around as long as what they are testing exists.

Now that you have that opinion from myself, feel free to ignore it! I have a whole sentence (well a phrase actually) of a rather sparse statement of the system objectives.   

NXG may be suitable Current Generation LabVIEW is suitable and the lower risk decision. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,002 Views)

sorry I did not get exactly your point, right now, I am downloading Labview 2018, could that do the test automation for electronics using different vendor equipment?

I decided not to use NXG, do you think what I did is ok?

thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,976 Views)

LabVIEW is a quite a powerful tool and it should allow you to do what you want. With so few details it is difficult to say for sure. Regarding third party equipment, you should be able to interact and control them provided they have some type of interface that supports that. You may find they already provide LabVIEW code for using their device or you may need to develop it yourself.

I highly recommend that you get some training on how to use LabVIEW. there is free online training or you can take one of NI's courses.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,974 Views)

@shady1 wrote:

sorry I did not get exactly your point, right now, I am downloading Labview 2018, could that do the test automation for electronics using different vendor equipment?

I decided not to use NXG, do you think what I did is ok?

thanks 

Hi Shady,

Yes, we said current gen LabVIEW as opposed to NXG (next gen). So current gen LabVIEW is LabVIEW 2018, or 2017, 2016, etc... Sorry for the confusion.

Mark has great advice. Don't believe the "programming is optional" marketing lingo that NI uses. This causes people to jump in and start making spaghetti (wires going everywhere) and you'll get a general distaste for LabVIEW. Whenever you buy a new LabVIEW license I believe at least 1 year SSP is included, which gives you access to Core 1, Core 2, and Core 3 training (among others). Do as much of the training as you can, and your efficiency and pleasure using LabVIEW will quickly grow.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,968 Views)

thank you,

I was able to downloaded Labview 2014, which is the version that we do have license for in here at were I work, however, I am not able to re use the NI USB 8451, I get this following message that I am looking forward for your help

"the program can not start because NiSpy Log.dll is missing from your computer, try re installing the program to fix this problem"

please advise

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,930 Views)

@shady1 wrote:

I was able to downloaded Labview 2014, which is the version that we do have license for in here at were I work, however, I am not able to re use the NI USB 8451, I get this following message that I am looking forward for your help

Did you install the drivers for the NI-8451?  If you want the version released with LabVIEW 2014, go here: NI-845x 14.0.  If you want the latest version that will work with LabVIEW 2014, go here: NI-845x 17.0

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,924 Views)

What program are you trying to open? Based on the error message, I would try re-installing it. If that doesn't work, contact NI support.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,923 Views)

I am trying to use the NI USB-4851, it is a SPI and I2C device, I already installed the driver for it, I am supposed to open the automation and measurements which I never found on my PC

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,919 Views)