From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview for linux documentation?

I'm new with Labview, but I've been learning it on Windows 10.  I'd like to use Ubuntu 14.04 instead, but I'm finding an incredibly small amount of details on how to do that (approaching no details at all). 

I managed to find the download here, but it's a .dmg file that downloads.  I'm assuming that it isn't a mistake, and that I'm expected to convert that to another format and it will work.  The work I'm doing heavily relies on FPGAs, and I also wanted to make sure that if I did manage to get the .dmg file converted, and to successfully install, that it would be possible to have the FPGA 'plugin' (I'm unsure what they are called in Labview), working in Ubuntu.

If I have to go to Redhat, I can, and I see that it is supported here, but the first column specifies a Linux Kernel, which if I'm not mistaken, could also cover Ubuntu.  Another reason I haven't given up on Ubuntu, and gone to Redhat is because I can't seem to find any documentation on an install and setup process on Redhat either.  I'm imagining I'm just looking in the wrong places.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,599 Views)

LabVIEW FPGA development is only for Windows. The LabVIEW FPGA c interface allows you to run a bitfile from any Linux program. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Message 2 of 5
(2,551 Views)

Hi Slimmons,

A bit more info on LabVIEW and FPGA on Linux :

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/52786/en/

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P7nVSAS

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14039/en/

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/12008/en/

Hope it helps 🙂

CLAMaxime -- Kudos are a great way to say thank you
Message 3 of 5
(2,543 Views)

The .dmg package is a Apple Macintosh image file. I would be surprised if that could be used in any way on a Linux distribution. And it is a a trial version, with water mark and other limits, not a full development version. Unlike on Windows, there is no license manager for Macintosh or Linux and that means there is no downloadable installer that can be simply turned into a full version by a license code. The trial program is a version of LabVIEW specifically compiled with certain limitations so it can not be used as full version. And there is no such trial version for Linux at all. You have to buy a license from NI to get the installation media with the full program.

While LabVIEW can be installed on Ubuntu, it is not straightforward and depends on the Ubuntu version too, how that needs to be done.

Yes Linux is Linux, as far as the kernel is concerned but even there the version matters. And then each distribution adds their own specific drivers, subsystems and most importantly maybe package management and installation system. Supporting them all is an impossibility.

Redhat uses RPM as package management system and that is what the LabVIEW installer supports. Ubuntu uses the Debian package management system and its own apt on top of it to manage the system in a more user friendly way. The two package managers are not compatible though you can convert a RPM installer into a debian installer script with a tool called alien, that usually works, but it is not a simple point and click solution, as most things in Linux are not anyways. Without some Linux vodoo knowledge you generally will strand sooner than later at anything that doesn't come built in your specific distribution.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 5
(2,539 Views)

Thanks for all of the very useful responses.  I'll move to Redhat, to make everything a bit easier.  I have a purchased copy of Labview, but it's pretty old.  I'll contact my NI contact, and see if I can get 2017 for linux RPM.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,530 Views)