LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview fails to initialize Tektronix Oscilloscope suddenly

Solved!
Go to solution

It was working fine, then suddenly it fails to initializes the Tektronix MDO3024 oscilloscope in every VI file that has previously worked. I tried to restart Labview, the computer, the oscilloscope, replug the ethernet cable, reinstalling the oscilloscope driver, but none of these worked.

I have attached a VI file as an example, all VI files which has stopped working does more or less the same thing as this one.

Here is the error message for one VI file

Possible reason(s):

The id query failed. You might have selected the wrong instrument, or the instrument did not respond.  You also might be using a model that is not officially supported by this driver.  If you are sure that you have selected the correct instrument and it is responding, try disabling the id query.
I have attached an example VI file below, all of the VI files which stopped working does more or less the same thing as the one attached.

Complete call chain:
     Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series.lvlib:Initialize.vi
     Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series Acquire Continuous Waveform Example.vi

Here is the error message for another file.

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF000E) The given session or object reference is invalid.

I also tried to follow the advice in the first error message by disabling the ID query. But then it gave me another error message.

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Scan failed. The input string does not contain data in the expected format.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,221 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DrWang

@DrWang wrote:

It was working fine, then suddenly it fails to initializes the Tektronix MDO3024 oscilloscope in every VI file that has previously worked. I tried to restart Labview, the computer, the oscilloscope, replug the ethernet cable, reinstalling the oscilloscope driver, but none of these worked.

I have attached a VI file as an example, all VI files which has stopped working does more or less the same thing as this one.

Here is the error message for one VI file

Possible reason(s):

The id query failed. You might have selected the wrong instrument, or the instrument did not respond.  You also might be using a model that is not officially supported by this driver.  If you are sure that you have selected the correct instrument and it is responding, try disabling the id query.
I have attached an example VI file below, all of the VI files which stopped working does more or less the same thing as the one attached.

Complete call chain:
     Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series.lvlib:Initialize.vi
     Tektronix DPO MSO 2000 4000 Series Acquire Continuous Waveform Example.vi

Here is the error message for another file.

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF000E) The given session or object reference is invalid.

I also tried to follow the advice in the first error message by disabling the ID query. But then it gave me another error message.

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Scan failed. The input string does not contain data in the expected format.

Invalid VISA reference means the device is no longer where LabVIEW thought it was.  The workaround is to use the VISA resource dropdown to find it again.  The fix is to figure out why it changed location (or disappeared if it is no longer there).

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,200 Views)

I was recently puzzled that I couldn't detect the same oscilloscope which previously (6 months+ ago) I had just plugged in and used via dropdown box.

I managed to add it manually using MAX, at which point it again appeared in the list available for VISA. Trying to do the same might help you. I don't know what changed though...

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,190 Views)

Thank you for your answer, it some how fixed it self after some time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,183 Views)

@DrWang wrote:

Thank you for your answer, it some how fixed it self after some time.

Ugh, I hate when it fixes itself before I can diagnose the issue.  My mantra: If it happened once, it will happen again.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,170 Views)