From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview executable works differently on identical computers with Windows 10

Solved!
Go to solution

I have created two separate executables (eg. Station_1_Test.exe and Station_2_Test.exe) that are to be used on identical computers (Dell OptiPlex 3050) with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Station 1 & Station 2). These executables were installed using the LabVIEW Installers and are identical in function.

The problem I'm seeing is that Station_1_Test.exe doesn't work correctly on Station 1. It runs but the Digital I/O (NI-9401) module doesn't work correctly.

I am using the Digital I/O for enabling some power supplies. Station 2 runs the Station_2_Test.exe correctly. I tried swapping the programs on the Stations and found that neither executable works on Station 1, and they both work on Station 2.

I have other executables that run fine on Station 1 that utilize the same I/O controls, so that tells me that the NI-9401 works correctly.

I figured there must be something different in the PCs that is causing this issue, but I am unable to find any differences in the two PCs.

Does anyone have any ideas why I am seeing the difference in execution between identical computers?

Thanks,

JTH

Software: LabVIEW 2018 Ver. 18.0f2 (64-bit)

Hardware:

NI cDAQ-9174 CompactDAQ Chassis

NI 9205 Analog Input Module 32/16 Diff Dsub (Slot 2

NI 9264 Analog Output Module 16-Port Dsub (Slot 2)

NI 9401 Digital I/O Module 8-Port Dsub (Slot 3)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,308 Views)

Are all the modules named exactly the same on each machine in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,282 Views)

All of the modules are named exactly the same on each machine.

The stations are exactly the same hardware/software.

It is odd that both programs work on "Station 2", but neither works on "Station 1"

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,278 Views)

What error message are you getting that is causing the failure?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,268 Views)

I am not getting any error messages.

The program runs, but the digital outputs (used for enables) do not operate correctly.

I have a previous version of the program that runs fine. The only difference is the newer program incorporates a counter function used to count pulses from the power supply.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,260 Views)

Well I'm stumped. If you are not getting an error when you write to the output it should work. Is it possible the hardware itself is failing? Can you set the outputs from MAX and have them work correctly?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,256 Views)

I know the hardware works because it is currently running the previous version of the program.

It also works with NI Max.

The program runs fine on Station 2 but not on 1.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,166 Views)

Hi jth,

then check each and every error wire related to digital output on station 1...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,160 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author J.T.H.

Thanks for all the help.

I was able to getting it running on Station 1 by moving my counter loop location in the vi.

It is still puzzling why the first version works on Station 2, but at least the stations are working correctly.

Thanks again,

JTH

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,151 Views)