LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview crashes when using remote panel

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to find out why my Labview application crashes either completely or only parts of it. Im using LV 8.0 or LV 2009 on a Suse Entreprise 10.0 Linux system. So far I got three different error messages when labview was started from a terminal and crashed:

1) Fatal internal error: image.cpp, line 12727

2) Labview caught fatal signal: 8.0 - received SIGSEGV; Reason: address not mapped to object; Attempts to reference address: 0x729

3) *** glibc detected *** labview: double free or corruption (fasttop)

The first crash occured after adding certain parts of code in Labview 2009. The program worked fine for 15min and then crashed. I couldn't find a problem in my code especially because I'm doing the same within other parts of the program without any problems. So I put the new parts in a diagram disable structure, everything worked fine for a while again. After the next crash some days later I blamed it on LV 2009 because I migrated from 8.0 to 2009 not long ago. So I moved back to 8.0 and reprogrammed all changes from scratch in LV 8.0. It doesn't crash repeatably after 15min any more, but one can force a crash with certain actions on the front panel.

The actual situation is:

- I cannot reproduce the crash when working through a VNC connection on the system

- I can reproduce a crash when starting the program from another host using ssh -X and operate it directly or with remote panel functions

- I can reproduce the crash when I start the program locally and work with the remote panel functions

- It seems to be more critical when I use the remote panel functions while the front panel of the vi isn't minimized, at least the remote panel in this case is quite slow

- Maybe that a high network load leads to earlier crashes

- Sometimes the front panel just freezes and is completely white while other parts of the program are still working

So my questions are:

- is the proper function of the remote panel depending on the window state of the controlled vi?

- what does error: image.cpp, line 12727 mean? If it's related to a hardware driver (as described in the knowledge base) I'd expect the same behaviour when working with VNC (but maybe the VNC connection is too slow to force the crash)

- may it be that may program gets too large and that Labview can't handle a program as large as that?

I'd appreciate any idea to get hands on those crashes, thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,068 Views)

Hi,

when you say the VI is large, how large do you mean? Could you provide the VI or a screenshot to get an idea? Usually nested structures that go too deep are the culprits in big VIs.

Also, do you have access to LabVIEW 2010 or 2011? If so, it could also be that the problem is resolved by an update and is worth a try.

Is your front panel big/complex? If yes, then remote panels can sometimes cause crashes. Remote panels should ideally be used on relatively simple and static front panels.

The image.cpp error is related to LabVIEW querying its internal state and minimizing the window helps for this error.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joseph Tagg

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,047 Views)