LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Real-Time 15.0

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and to the NI instrumentation. My lab has a PXIe-1078 chassis with a PXIe-8840 Quad-Core embedded controller. This controller seems to be running Labview RTOS 15.0 but I do not know how to operate this OS. Every time I boot this, it stops at this screen (image attached) where I cannot type or do anything. I have tried searching for manuals and documentation but could not find anything helpful. I have also attached the image of BIOS. It would be really helpful if someone can provide relevant documentation or some advice on how to operate this system. Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(957 Views)

This is a LabVIEW Real-Time Processor, running a version of Linux that supports LabVIEW Real-Time.  A LabVIEW Real-Time Project generally involves two CPUs -- a general-purpose PC usually running Windows 10 (64-bit) on which you have installed LabVIEW 20xx (usually 32-bit), and a second CPU running on a LabVIEW Real-Time Processor, most commonly either a PXI/PXIe system (as you have) or a Compact DAQ or Compact RIO, usually running some flavor of NI Real-Time Linux.

The Host (PC) running LabVIEW is responsible for interaction with the User, including displaying data on Front Panels and handling I/O with multiple peripherals, most importantly with File I/O.  The Host LabVIEW code, itself, runs "as fast as the CPU allows" (which is usually pretty fast), but there is no guaranteed latency for when the code will run (i.e. Windows decides when it needs to scan your hard drive for Viruses, not you).

A Real-Time OS, in contrast, provides the user with much greater control of determinancy, exactly when will the code run.  Among other things, code on the Real-Time Processor generally does not use the Front Panel for interaction with the User (people are notorious for not doing things exactly when you want them to do so).

So you have a powerful LabVIEW RT instrument.  That's the Good News.  But now you need to learn how to work with the LabVIEW Real-Time Module in order to make good use of your PXI system.  Note that you will want to have a Windows 10 PC with the same version of LabVIEW that you are installing on your PXI (using MAX, on the PC, of course), with your Windows machine connected to your PXI via Ethernet.  You'll probably be using TCP/IP to communicate between LabVIEW on the PC (the Host system) and LabVIEW on the PXI (the Real-Time Target system).

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 4
(917 Views)

Thank you, Bob, for the information. That really helped.

I have a friend in the department who is very much familiar with the MAX software but he is having trouble understanding how to get to a point where we can operate the PXI using the PC with windows 10. If we simply connect a PC via ethernet to the PXIe, would we be able to use the MAX software to operate the PXI?

I don't know how the RT system works. It seems like there needs to be some setup for that interface.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(896 Views)

Also, can you please direct me to a manual or any other resource from where I can learn how to work with the LabVIEW Real-Time Module? I tried looking at the manuals on the NI website but I cannot figure them out.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(892 Views)