cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Memory is Full

My PC spec

Processor: Intel i7-4770

RAM: 8GB

LabVIEW 2014 Service Pack 1, LabVIEW Professional Development System.

I was getting the below error.

LabVIEW: Memory is full.

The top-level VI "excess_trend.vi" was stopped at unknown on the block diagram of "ERR_MergeErrors.vi".

Refer to the VI Memory Usage topic in the LabVIEW Help for suggestions on monitoring and improving VI memory usage.

May I know why this error occur? The error was not appear everytime.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,520 Views)

@CHEN0220 wrote:

My PC spec

Processor: Intel i7-4770

RAM: 8GB

LabVIEW 2014 Service Pack 1, LabVIEW Professional Development System.

I was getting the below error.

LabVIEW: Memory is full.

The top-level VI "excess_trend.vi" was stopped at unknown on the block diagram of "ERR_MergeErrors.vi".

Refer to the VI Memory Usage topic in the LabVIEW Help for suggestions on monitoring and improving VI memory usage.

May I know why this error occur? The error was not appear everytime.

thanks

Are you running the 32-bit version of LabVIEW or 64-bit?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,497 Views)

Hi,

I was running 32-bit version of LabVIEW.

The error occur when i was running the full compile exe file but i can't confirm when the error will pop out.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,478 Views)

Have you looked at the LabVIEW help yet (like the error suggests)?

I can't see your VI because I don't have access to LV at the moment.  Do you manipulate large arrays?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,462 Views)

Hi Chen,

some remarks:

- cleaning up a VI (or better: its BD) will help to understand what it does!

- when you copy part of codes you should think about using subVIs and loops!

- having several controls with exactly the same label in a VI is bad. Using events on all those controls is very bad…

To answer your question in a general way: building histograms of data can be very memory consuming. (I don't have the DSC toolkit installed, so cannot comment with more details.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,397 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

By the way, may i know why the error mention about ERR_MergeErrors.vi?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,384 Views)

Hi Chen,

that function was the one, when LabVIEW couldn't access enough memory to handle it. But it doesn't need to be the one that consumes too much memory…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,360 Views)

This sort of error is almost always a programming error. I can't look at your code right now but look for places where LabVIEW is allocating memory in loops. That includes loops where output values are being autoindexed into arrays. Also look for places where an error might result in a loop operating as you expect. 

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,350 Views)

You should really try to understand LabVIEW before attempting such a project. Your VI is full of race conditions (writing to a terminal and reading from a local variable of the terminal in parallel. No way to tell what happens in what order (Sel 1, Sel 2, Sel 3, etc)) and meaningless constructs (e.g. wiring a local variable directly to the control terminal of itself. (e.g. you are writing pen6 to a local varaible of itself then read the value of the local in the next frame. Why not eliminate the two locals and just wire the terminal where it is needed? There are dozens of cases like that!

Why are you writing the same diagram constants to the same hidden indicators wit every iteration? I don't see anything that would ever change the values.

What determines the loop rates?

Sorry, my laptop screen is not big enough to efficiently inspect the program any further. I also don't have your toolkits.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,285 Views)

Yes, you are right, i basically doesn't have LabVIEW knowledge at all.

All the vi is very messy and a lot of meaningless constructs. It is very hard for people to throubleshoot.

My error handler was terrible. When error appear, even after the user acknowledge, the error will still keep poping out and user need to force shutdown LabVIEW to stop the error.

To prevent this, i connect all the error handler to a signal error handler, and disable the error message. For now, no error will pop out and it is bad because i do not know when the system got error.

I create the project by having one of my resigned senior's works.

I take his project and modify.

My project is basically get the real time reading from OPTO22 hardware and using Labview as a OPC Client to get the data. After that display it in schematic, trending and data logging.

And the overall structure contain totally seven PC connected in a star topology network structure, one act as an engineering workstation and the rest as an operating workstation.

I facing a lot of problem previously, for example, when first PC start the pump, and when the second PC is switch on, it auto turn off the pump, because the default value it false, at the same time, the first PC send true to the pump, so the pump will keep on and off. I manage to solve it by adding in event handler, so it won't send any signal when user doesn't go and change the button.

I manage to get all the things done by myself without any LabVIEW knowlege and a little bit of scada knowledge at the same time support from NI Application Engineer.

Actually for now, all the things looks fine and workable, just sometime the "not enough memory" error will pop out. I do not have time to study Labview for now and the project is urgent. We going to have T&C next week. I hope able to solve this error at the meantime.

thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,255 Views)