LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview LED segments

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 2.12.55 PM.png

 Can some one help me out with this. I dont really know whats it asking. i just want to see the Front panel and Block diagram so i can compare. Please if you could try this problem and attach the Front panel and Block diagram

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,158 Views)

Hi Tommy,

@Tommy12310 wrote:

Can some one help me out with this. … i just want to see the Front panel and Block diagram so i can compare.

To "compare" you should attach your VI so we can tell you, how to improve that approach!

(No one will do your homework for you. Please show some effort on your own…)

@Tommy12310 wrote:

I dont really know whats it asking.

When you can't follow the steps given in your homework assignment then you should take those Training resources offered at the top of the LabVIEW board.

(Or ask your teacher/classmates for help!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(1,150 Views)

thank you but i just wanted to compare my answer. its whatever though. ill ask my professor, im sure he'll help me out (expect that he sucks at teaching), if anyone kind enough can post what they got that would be amazing!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,143 Views)

Hi Tommy,

@Tommy12310 wrote:

i just wanted to compare my answer.

Again: when you already have an answer then you should attach your VI!

Did you place all those items named in your assignment (case structure, 7 LED to form a 7-segment display, Enum/ring, while loop) yet?

Do you get the required result?

In case you didn't solve the homework: where are you stuck? Did you debug your VI?

I really would like to help, but I will not solve your homework by posting a solution! Show some effort on your own…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,126 Views)

Honestly it's a very poor assignment as it tells you to use a single case structure with a case for every possible user input.

While in this instance that is only 5 different cases (-2 through 2)

How would you scale that to actually display every possible input (-9 through 99)?

Surely not a single case structure with 100+ cases! 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,115 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

While in this instance that is only 5 different cases (-2 through 2)

I would just wire the enum to a picture ring and call it a day. 😄

Message 6 of 9
(1,112 Views)

@Tommy12310 wrote:

i just want to see the Front panel and Block diagram so i can compare. Please if you could try this problem and attach the Front panel and Block diagram

this is all about binary to decimal number system conversion 

the frontpanel of a 7 segment bcd done in excel

alexderjuengere_0-1645574224743.png

you could turn this into -2 to 2 by using bit 3 as a sign bit

e.g.

1010 =  -2

1001 =  -1

0000 = 0

0001 = +1

0010 = +2

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,067 Views)

I am not going to do your homework for you, but here's how I would do a seven segment numeric display.

Start with one of these charts...

That looks like a Boolean array to me...That looks like a Boolean array to me...

7seg.png

7segCapture.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,055 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

I am not going to do your homework for you, but here's how I would do a seven segment numeric display.

That was actually a problem for one of the "challenge the champions" events at NI week a few years ago. I was sitting in the front row and cringed at the solutions they were tediously constructing while I was imagining something similar to the following:

altenbach_1-1645581445889.png

Note that the arrangement of the cluster constant element mimics the display, for very easy (and fast!!!) setting of the patterns.

(The solution for that challenge would just to have a control for the index, so this is a bit fancier, cycling through all the numbers. We could expand and create an array of clusters on the front panel and parse multidigit positive integers. Scalable!)

Message 9 of 9
(1,047 Views)