LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview IMAQ VI for capturing images and saving with incremental file names

Hello, I am using LabView 7.1(IMAQ) to capture images with NI's PCI 1426 card, and a JAI CV-M2 camera. Now, with the example VI's like LL Grab, or LL Sequence, or Snap and Save to File.vi, I can capture the images. But what I actually want is to capture images continuously and keep saving them with a sequentially incrementing file name.

I have tried to modify the Snap and Save to File.vi  by adding a 'for loop', so as to run this for required number of images. This works okay, but I can't really change the file name after every image. However, I'm not confident with this method either. I think it would be better to use the buffer itself, as is given in LL Grab.vi and somehow save images from the buffer. I think this would be faster ?

In any case, any ideas as to how I should go about implementing auto-incrementing of the file name ?

Any help will do. 

Thanks.

- Prashant

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(13,865 Views)

Something like that:

snip.png

Андрей.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(13,856 Views)

Hi,

Thanks a lot for replying. 

I tried using this in the VI i was working with, but using the "build path" vi doesnt seem to work. If I use just the base path from user's input, it works, but then again it keeps overwriting the images into one file rather than giving each file a new name. I'm attaching the vi. 

Please take a look and tell me where i'm going wrong.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(13,850 Views)

You should select target folder instead of file (well, you can also strip path, but its not good from usabillity point of view). Also, something like that:

mod.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(13,844 Views)

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this. This works. And using this in the LL grab.vi I can at present capture images and save them as I wanted. However, the framing rate I get with this is a mere 2 fps (this is higher than when I tried with LL Sequence.vi in which case it was a disastrous 0.5 fps).

Is there a way to increase this to realize the camera's full potential, as I am guessing that writing on a buffer (onboard memory) seems to work better than continuously writing onto the system memory.  Maybe i can write onto the ram for increasing the speed ?

Thanks a lot again 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(13,816 Views)

I download LL Seqence.vi, but there are  a couple of files i can't load, like IMAQ WriteFile, IMAQ Snap.vi etc. I have labview 8.2 and NI Vision Acquisition Software 2011. Anyone can tell me where i can get these files? Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(13,278 Views)

Hi,

Usually, IMAQ Writefile and IMAQ Snap both get loaded when you install vision on your system. They should be found at-

Vision and Motion>>NI-IMAQ>>Snap    and

Vision and Motion>>Vision Utilities>>Files>>IMAQ Writefile

However since these seem the be missing , I checked the compatibility between LabVIEW 8.2 and Vision 2011. They are not compatibile.

Use this link to download http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1524/lang/en Vision 2009.

Once you install this, you should be able to use the VI in the thread

Hope this helps

Regards,
Kanchan Bhakoo
Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(13,253 Views)

I already did that, thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(13,248 Views)

Could you upload the VI for this or teach me how to make out what is what from a snippet.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(11,873 Views)

Hi,

I have applied the IMAQ Write File2.vi to save the images in LabView 2012, now there is a problem  when I run it:

error IMAQ vision: Invalid parameter. I checked the code and don't find the reason.

Do you have some suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Chen

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,408 Views)