cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview FPGA and Real- time module communication

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I have created a small program in labview FPGA that continuously gets distance from ultrasonic sensor HC- SR04. The rest of the program for the robot is written in Labview real time module. Is there any way that the distance calculated by FPGA module be read in real time module.

I have used FPGA just because it has micro-second counter, that helps me to get the distance from ultrasonic sensor.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,422 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author techfreak

There are number of ways this can be done, depending on your requirements.

Check out the help article Transferring Data between the FPGA and Host (FPGA Module) for a breakdown of each method.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Message 2 of 5
(4,372 Views)
Hello Michael,
Thanks for the response.
I am using NI Myrio- 1900 for a small robot project. For navigation, I am using two ultrasonic sensors. I have a endless loop in FPGA that calculates the distance of wall from two sensors. I would like to use these distances in real time module to control other processes.
Please, let me know if there is anything I can study relevent to the problem.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,340 Views)

I believe the link that Michael attached in his response is exactly what you're looking for. There are additional links at the top of that page that go into more detail for the three options you have to transfer data from the FPGA to RT.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,279 Views)

techfreak,

On the FPGA VI front panel, display the FPGA calculated values you want. Then on the RT, drop a 'reference' to the FPGA, set the reference to your specific FPGA VI (the VI will need to be compiled).

Once you have the FPGA reference 'wire' you can drop an FPGA property node on the RT diagram - you will see the FPGA front panel controls and indicators. Read the values of the FPGA front panel indicators, via the reference property nodes in a loop. You can easily get read rates in the kHz this way.

You're not passing that much data nor need a read rate that would require a FIFO.

Try opening, a Module specific example, to get an idea of how to do this. The project frameworks are interestsing, but the module example is more direct.

Regards

Jack Hamilton

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,206 Views)