LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Executable tries to download pdf from www.ni.com

Good day everyone,

i am running into a puzzling issue that I have with only one of the installation of my software.

When I launch the labview 10 executable on a specific target machine, a download windows opens asking permission to download the file 321393d.pdf from the www.ni.com website at this link: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/321393d.pdf

Now...

1. there is absolutely nothing in my executable that would reference that pdf, nor connecting to the internet, nor connecting to the www.ni.com site

2. the issue only appears on one specific machine

3. I checked the .INI file and reinstalled the NI VISA & Labview Runtime Engine

4. I disabled all the NI* services from the windows Administrative Tools / Services

I am running short of runway in finding a solution to this annoying window that opens at startup of my software.

Any Suggestions?

---

Fabio

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(4,461 Views)

It'll be hard to understand the behavior when we don't see anything.

What do you mean by LabVIEW 10?

What IS the application doing?

Just to be clear.  You mentioned problems with the installation and the executable.  Does this pop up while running an installer or the executable itself?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(4,429 Views)

Are you talking about launching LabVIEW itself or an application built with LabVIEW? If this happens only on one specific target machine (what's the OS?) there might be a problem with the target machine (corrupt registry, malware, wrong shortcut, etc.).

We definitely need more information. Do you built an installer and install a LabVIEw application on the target machine or are you just moving the executuable around?

If the problem occurs when you start LabVIEW. Do you click on a shortcut on the desktop? If so, look at the proerties to see where it points at. As a second step,  I would try to repair the installation.

Are you talking about LabVIEW 2010 or something else?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(4,421 Views)

Thanks for taking time of reading my post, Here you have few clarifications:

1. yes, I am talking about Labview 2010

2. The issue is with an executable that I am moving around machines, not with the installer

3. The target OS is Windows 7 Pro, that by itself is not an issue as this executable runs on several other Win7 machines without issues.

4. One difference is that this is the only machine with Win 7 Pro in English, the others have different languages.

5. I develop the software and the executable on my machine, which is a Windows 10 English one.

6. I then simply copy the executable on the target machines. I run the installation of the LabVIEW 2010 runtime engine and the NI VISA 5.2 Runtime Engine, to allow the executable to run

7. Attached a screenshot of the 2 windows that appear moments after the main exdecutable il launched

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(4,409 Views)
This is a curious file too... Could there be an unintended link to it in the project?

If you create another simple project and install it on the same PC does it ask for the file too?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(4,376 Views)

Only this exe, the others are fine. The others do not use the NI VISA Runtime Engine, though.

I also installed AVG to check possible malware / spyware and I played with the windows firewall.

Still no clue!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(4,355 Views)

Since you are saying that you are just moving the executable around, see if there is a folder named "data" in the same place as the executable. What's in it?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(4,337 Views)
What happens if you let the software download the file? Where it puts it might give you a clue.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(4,321 Views)

Good suggestion. It asks to save it here:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments

that of course leads again to NI....

---
Fabio

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(4,297 Views)

Yes, the folder DATA is part of my software.

It includes several support files that are very well known to me (I created those files) and also some libraries as follows:

lvanlys.dll

lvinput.dll

lvsound2.dll

UniKey,dll (this one is related to the hardware USB key protecion of my software)

---
Fabio

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(4,295 Views)