LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 8.2 Load Error: unknown, improper format, load error code 3: Could not load front panel

Hello all,

I have been working on a VI in Labview 8.2 for a while now, and recently it failed to open.  It was working fine one moment, I received no warnings or errors, and failed to open the next time I tried to open it.  I have opened every one of the other VIs I created that run as subVIs, and they all open fine; the problem seems to lie solely in the main VI.

When I attempt to open it, I see a small window pop up after the Labview loading screen (at the point when it begins to load the troubled VI), which contains the message 'Load Error: "Unknown error".' I hit the OK button four times and get the same message.  These are followed by the message: 'Load Error: "Improper format".' - I see this error twice.  Followed immediately again by the 'unknown error' and another two 'improper format' messages.  After these nine errors, I see:

LabVIEW: Generic error.

An error occurred loading VI 'Dan....vi'.                              <--- (No need to name my VI here)

LabVIEW load error code 3: Could not load front panel.

So I'm shut out from opening the VI, and I don't know of any way to repair it, at least nothing I came across can help shed light on the situation.

All I did was save the VI, exit out of Labview, then try to open up the VI again after a short time.  As I mentioned, there were no error messages or warnings when I saved and closed Labview, so I know no reason why these errors developed.  Oh, I just remembered that in between saving and closing the file, I did create a new Task in MAX, but didn't touch any existing tasks in my VI.  I don't know if that's significant, it certainly shouldn't affect the loading of a VI in labview, but I figured I mention it.  

This computer is running Windows XP, and it has *sigh* Service Pack 3.  That 'update' seems to have caused more troubles than anything else - I don't even know of any fixing it was supposed to do; everything was going fine (I've now set my updates to only alert me when there are new ones, and not install automatically) - but I doubt it interrupted Labview from carrying out a task during the saving of my VI.  

What I'm looking for is a way to get this VI repaired, or whatever so that it can open again.  I mean, the last thing I was doing with it was edit the Icon for it anyway, as if it would ever be seen, haha. 

Any help would be appreciated; please offer up any insight.

Thanks,

Dan 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,373 Views)
That appears to be similar to the error that you get with an executable if it tries to open a VI with the settings set to open the front panel, but the front panel has been removed, as the app builder typically does for all VIs. But, the "improper format" alludes to the likelyhood that the VI has been saved with a different version of LabVIEW. However, you would get the notification of the LabVIEW version as part of the error message. Other than that, it's likely the VI is corrupt. You do have a backup, right? If you post the VI perhaps someone can try to take a look at it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,362 Views)

You seem to be missing some information on that last post...

Were you trying to upload a VI? If so, be aware that Safari and Google Chrome have problems with uploading VIs to this site. You need to put them into a ZIP file first.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,329 Views)
Yes, if you could post your VI I would like to take a look at it.
--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,317 Views)

You need to force labview to not "remove the front panel".

Right click on the subvi to see "show front panel when called" and try turning it on.

Also, there's a option in the build properties window "source file settings".

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,086 Views)