From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 7.1 Run Time Engine Install request in Labview 2013 application

When I try to run my application in the Labview 2013 development system an install window pops up and tries to install the Labview 7.1 runtime engine. Has anyone encountered this or a similiar error? I tried re-compiling all my vi's by control clicking the run button, but this did not make the error go away. I think this application was originally written in Labview version 7 but I can't say for sure.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,216 Views)

This probably isn't about your code. How many versions of LV do you have installed? If you have several, it can be helpful to every couple years uninstall and reinstall everything.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,214 Views)

I have Labview versions 2010, 2012, and 2013 installed. We get new laptops every couple to three years. When I get a new laptop, I usually only install the most current version.

Also,

When I compile and install this code, I get an error that says this code is not executable the labview enviroment is required to fix this error. That's the only error message I get!!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,206 Views)

It definately sounds like an installation problem. Have you installed anything lately? NI or anything else?

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,189 Views)

I have not. The machine that tells me the code is not executable is in production. It is running a .exe file right now, compiled from the same code in Labview 2012 (I think - might be 2010). I added a function to one of the vi's to strip the letter P from a bar code scan if one is found, recompiled the exe and created a new installer. When I installed it, I get the "not executable  - need devolopment system to fix this" error.

Then, I then tried to run the code on my machine (with the full development system installed) and I get the install deal (tries to install 7.1 run time engine). I cancel the run time install and the code seems to executes OK. Every time I restart the code it tries to install the run time engine again.

I thought these two events might be related...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,181 Views)

Do you have realtime installed? I just checked my LV2013 machine and the only reference I can find in installed software for V7.1 anything, was one entry for a LV 7.1.1 realtime update.

You also might try doing a registry clean up using something like CCleaner.

...and yes, I'm shooting in the dark.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,164 Views)

I am having this same issue.

I have an application PC (without LabView) that is running an .exe that was programmed using LV 7.

I have recompiled this program on a development PC that has only LV 2013.

When I install the new executable onto the application PC and run, it tries to find the LV 7 Runtime Engine install (which actually is still installed).

What is happening?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,000 Views)

@simpa wrote:

I am having this same issue.

I have an application PC (without LabView) that is running an .exe that was programmed using LV 7.

I have recompiled this program on a development PC that has only LV 2013.

When I install the new executable onto the application PC and run, it tries to find the LV 7 Runtime Engine install (which actually is still installed).

What is happening?

Sorry for asking the obvious, but your description seems incomplete. If you rebuild a program under LabVIEW 2013, you need the LabVIEW 2013 run-time engine. Is that installed on the target?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,997 Views)

@altenbach wrote:
Sorry for asking the obvious, but your description seems incomplete. If you rebuild a program under LabVIEW 2013, you need the LabVIEW 2013 run-time engine. Is that installed on the target?

That's ok. Yes, both run-time engine 7 (from before) and run-time engine 2013 are now installed on the target.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,984 Views)