LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2020 System Requirements

Hello there,

I've recently come across the Rock Pi X, a single board computer capable of running full Windows 10. I thought it would be great to try running Labview on it seeing as it has an x86 based processor, but I'm not sure whether it meets the system requirements for Labview 2020. Labview requires at least a Pentium 4 G1 (2.8GHz, 1 core, 2 threads) while the Rock Pi X has a Intel Atom x5 Z8350 (1.84GHz, 4 cores, 4 threads). Does anyone know if Labview is more dependent on frequency or core count? All the other requirements (RAM, storage etc) are fine, its only the frequency I'm not sure about. It'd be a shame if it couldn't run just because of that.

Specs for Reference:

Labview 2020: https://www.ni.com/en-ie/shop/labview/compare-labview-nxg-and-labview.html

Rock Pi X: https://shop.maker-store.de/single-board-computer/boards/einzelne-boards/4177/rock-pi-x-4gb

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,988 Views)

The Pentium 4 G1 came out in 2004.  The Intel Atom x5 Z8350 came out in 2016. 

I'm going off memory from the times around my college years, but the Pentium 4 was somewhat infamous at the time for having high clock speeds but at the cost of poor performance.  I seem to recall the high clock speeds were pushed mostly as a marketing ploy to make the AMD chips running at half the clock speed look poorer in comparison.

It's really hard to know without trying it but I suspect it'll run fine.  In my experience, LabVIEW is more performance-dependent on time spend loading things into RAM and waiting for responses from hardware.  Not a lot of what it does is driven purely by CPU performance unless you're writing a lot of number-crunching code.

I can't guarantee anything but I do believe it will be fine.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,936 Views)

Thank you, I sure hope so, it would be great if you could run full Labview in such a small form factor.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,927 Views)

Do you intend to use the full development system in that board, or as a target? It's the latter right?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,904 Views)

In my mind the more functionality the better, so ideally the former but if thats not possible then the latter at the very least.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,866 Views)

Did you manage to get LabVIEW running on the Rock Pi successfully?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(598 Views)