LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2017 FULL Installation, Hardware Configuration, Ni-Daq

Solved!
Go to solution

I was using a trial version of 2015 and then purchased and installed Labview 2017 Full from the downloads page.  At 98-99% complete, a dialog prompt asked for a location for hardware drivers as the installer could not find them (there was a text message in Red font).  I suspended the install and started a new install of Ni-Daq driver support intending to continue the main installation.   The Ni-Daq install started but asked that I complete the pending install, which I was forced to skip the previous request to install the Hardware support.   Upon completing the Ni-Daq install, I opened my project from a working build (source) folder and now have errors.   I am guessing I need to configure the missed step but could not find the "Configuration" section to point at the Hardware drivers.   Do I need to uninstall 2017 and try again or can I configure Labview now? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(9,311 Views)

It's ok to just finish the. LabVIEW install..  then download and install device drivers later.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(9,298 Views)

You likely installed the wrong DAQmx drivers.  Which version did you install?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(9,273 Views)

To verify, you can conclude the LV2017 install, then install the Ni-Daq, then upon returning to LV2017 there is no need to configure the software?  This does not make sense since the install asked for the location of the Hardware drivers (Ni-Daq).   My original question was how do I specify the location of the installed Ni-Daq drivers (AFTER) the Labview install?   It appears that if multiple versions of Labview and Ni-Daq are installed, this configuration is necessary.   

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(9,228 Views)

The configuration under question is:

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Dell, i5-4440 @ 3.1 GHz, x64-based processor, 12 GB RAM

Initial install system:

Labview 2015 Eval (32-bit)

NI-DAQmx 16.1.0

Upgrade (source of questions):

Labview 20157 FULL (64-bit)

NI-DAQmx 17.1.0

New question:

What combinations are allowed between LabView + NI-DAQ board + NI-DAQmx software?

Does NI-DAQmx 32-bit work with 64-bit LabView?

Does LabView2017 work with NI-DAQmx 16.1.0?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(9,222 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author big.tuna

The LabVIEW installer assumes (incorrectly) that you are installing from media and have the Device Drivers media on hand.  It is OK to skip installing Device Drivers and complete theLabVIEW installation.  

Then you can download Device Drivers and install them as a second step.

Device Drivers 16 of course predates LabVIEW 2017 so, it cannot install support for LabVIEW 2017.  Device drivers 17.0.1 Does support multiple LabVIEW versions from 2017 back to....2014  There is one version of Device Drivers and it supports both 32 and 64 bit application development environments.  There are a few oldeer DAQmx devices that cannot run in a 64bit enviornment (These are all listed in the DAQmx ReadMe) I wonder why they named it that?

Message 6 of 11
(9,207 Views)

Don't mean to hijack here, but I will probably update soon to 2017. What is the difference between DAQ 17.0 and 17.1? See screenshot below.

Snap10.png

Thanks

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(9,201 Views)

17.1.0 is a fast-follow patch fixing an (OOPS) in the 17.0 build.  The Update service will catch the need for the patch and explain it in more detail if you want to know more.

Message 8 of 11
(9,198 Views)

Thanks. I was curious as to why they list 17.0 first.

Cheers,

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(9,195 Views)

Well, let's go look at the Readme.html...

For 17.1.0:

New Features

• Added support the NI cDAQ-9185 and NI cDAQ-9189 CompactDAQ chassis.
  • Added support for the NI 9207 Spring Terminal, NI 9208 Spring Terminal, NI 9209 Spring Terminal, NI 9224, NI 9228, NI 9250, NI 9425 Spring Terminal, NI 9476 Spring Terminal, and NI 9775 C Series devices.
  • Added support for the PXIe-4309 and PXIe-4310 SC Express modules
  • Added support for the NI CAL-4309, NI TB-4309, and NI TB-4310 SC Express accessories

In other words, it looks like whoever updated the drivers forgot to add the support for some new instruments and/or accidentally deleted them (I do not immediately recognize any of those numbers, so I can only guess as to which way it went).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(9,194 Views)