LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2014 Silent install + Network license

Hi All! 

I'm sure this has been asked before but I haven't seen anything with configuring the silent install with an Academic Site License. 

So far what I've done is ripped each DVD and named them accordingly. 

2013FPGAXILINX

ASLSP14DVD1

ASLSP14DVD2

ASLSP14DVD3

ASLSP14DVD4

DCD-Feb14-1

VLM 2.1 and following

Now it's just a matter of getting the install to run and install all the available modules, minus the other languages. 

I've run "setup.exe /q /AcceptLicenses yes" - but this doesn't automatically set the network license nor install all modules required. 

What am I missing? Any help would be great. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,142 Views)

I've probably installed LabVIEW Academic Distributions a hundred times (over a few years!) and have never heard of a "Silent Installs", nor known about the switch you are trying to use.  In general, I try to do my installs thinking about what software will be needed, so I don't "install everything".  Indeed, the Setup "sets up" the "Hands On Decision" part at the beginning -- it is only when you have to start swapping DVDs that the problem arises.

I wonder if you could do something like the following:  Create an image of a really humongous DVD that has all of the files that LabVIEW needs from all of the DVDs in a single image.  Note that if you look at the individual DVDs, they have a certain common structure that suggests this might be possible (though there might also be a "contents" file that might not combine well).  You could then "mount" this pseudo-ISO DVD using a software DVD emulator that works with ISO files.  I have no idea if this would work ...

Rumor has it that NI, starting with LabVIEW 2014, was distributing some "flavors" of LabVIEW on single USB keys, so they may have done something like this ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,113 Views)

Thanks for replying Bob, your comment is greatly appreciated. If you follow the instructions I've done you'll see that you can install LabVIEW silently. The installation runs in the background and you don't see a progress bar, but once the installation is complete the computer reboots and it's been installed. I've tested it but noticed I had to manually point to the licence server and the modules that are required we're installed. I"m guessing I'm missing some sort of config file to 'customize' the installation (i.e: install modules, adding a license server, etc.) or at least I hope that's what I'm missing. 

I'll continue some trial and error with the config files I've found on the National Instruments website. If I manage to get it to work, I'll update here and provide the steps I took.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,985 Views)

Did you see this article?  It talks about a "spec file", which might be what you are considering.  Who knew this existed?

BS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,971 Views)

Vatalis,

When you say Network License, are you getting your license from a Volume License Server?  If you are, I thought the only way you could connect to that server was either by doing it manually or using a VLI.  If you have to use a VLI I thought you might be able to use the Batch Installer Builder to get a single ISO as Bob was talking about then build a VLI using that.

I'm not super familiar with licensing so feel free to call me out on anything I just said.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,945 Views)