LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2011 save for previous version crashes

Hello,

I am trying to save an existing Labview 2011 project to any previous version. I have tried 2010 all the way down to 8.0. I have a clean project, all files are LV 2011, it builds and runs correctly. I have mass compiled.  It did call 2 dynamic vi's but I have removed those. The project did contain conditional compilation, but that is removed. It did contain disabled diagrams, but they are removed. I did a save hierarchy to a seperate folder, just to make sure the standard save works. It does.  There are 1196 vi's and controls in the project.

If I save to LV 2010, quite a number of sub vi's are saved (909 including controls), but none of the top level ones. The crash is manifested by Labview leaving memory (task manager doesn't see it any more) and the Labview window dissapearing.

Attached is the save dialog at the instance before crashing.

I have not been able to locate a log to let me know the last loaded vi. If you know of such a log, please let me know.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? If so, any clues on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Bart Schroder

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,512 Views)

@BartSchroder wrote:

I have not been able to locate a log to let me know the last loaded vi. If you know of such a log, please let me know.

In the advanced build configuration, check "generate build log file". See if you get more information. Good luck.

Quote from the help:

• Generate build log file—Specifies whether to create a log file for the build. The build log file lists all files contained in the build, including subVIs you do not specify as Startup VIs or Always Included. The log file also contains general build information such as build start and end time, the build specification and project name, and any errors that occurred during the build.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,499 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the business of using File/Save for Previous Version did not seem to use the Build log file that is made when building a project. This is not a build, this is a save!

regards

Bart

Message 3 of 7
(2,496 Views)

Sorry, I misread your post.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,491 Views)

Bart,

the dialog refers to a VI called "closeMouse.vi". This does not seem to be part of LV 2011 itself.

Where does it come from?

Removing this from the project (may require some rework!) changes the behavior?

I'm asking the second question since the dialog might NOT point to the source for the crash. It could also point to the sources which are downconverted correctly before the crash occurs....

Could you narrow down the crash to a project containing only "some" VIs?

thanks,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,485 Views)

Hi Norbert,

Yes, I was interested in the closeMouse.vi, but it is there all the time, and doesn't change. It seems to be the name of the NI vi that acts as the dialog. It's there even when successfully saving a small vi to previous. The dialog doesn't have any useful information on it, as far as I can tell (eg the current vi being saved).

I have gone down the track of trying to isolate, and have tried to save several top level VI's (with hjundreds of VI's below them), but they have all failed. Sad.

Will press on.

- Bart

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,482 Views)

Usually when I have crashes during downconverting VIs it's due to VIs that use a Call Library Function Node. My guess is that the closeMouse VI is using one of those.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,475 Views)