LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2009 SP1 crashes when moving large selection with arrow key

Solved!
Go to solution

If I select a lot (10 or 15) of Block Diagram components and try to move them some distance with the arrow key, I will frequently get a program crash.  Since a smaller number of components seems to crash after a longer travel distance, it looks like some kind of buffer overflow error.  I do not see this problem when using the mouse to move selections.

I have checked to be sure I have the latest video driver for my NVIDIA Quatro FX570.  I have also tried working with no hardware acceleration and no combined writes.  This is happening on Windows XP SP3 with all the current updates.

It has become so bad that I have to do a Save As every fifteen minutes to keep from losing data.

Why don't I use my mouse for all movements?  Because it is not as accurate and not so easy to restrict to one dimension of movement.   My hand is not as steady as it once was.

I hoping someone will have a suggestion that will clear up this problem.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,061 Views)

Additional note:  even if the movement doesn't cause an immediate crash, it is very likely related to an "unable to save Block Diagram"  file corruption error that I also get every couple of days.  This is actually a worse problem because AutoRecover doesn't work with this type of failure.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,059 Views)

Have you always seen this behavior with LabVIEW 2009 SP1 or has it started more recently? Also, does this occur with any VI or have you only tested it on the current one?

Thanks!

Tanya Visser
National Instruments
LabVIEW Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,041 Views)

I have seen this behavior on other VIs.  I have also seen this behavior with LabVIEW 8.5.  

LabVIEW is one of several industrial control languages that I use.  It has more than six months since I last used it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,030 Views)

Do you get a specific error message when you recover from the crash? If so, could you post that here?

Could you also post a sample VI, for which you would see the crash?

Thanks!

Tanya Visser
National Instruments
LabVIEW Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,996 Views)

It has with every VI that I have edited in the way described.  There is no specific error message. If you can't make it crash, then obviously, you can't help me.  I am not at liberty to post my employer's proprietary VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,984 Views)

You are right. I cannot cause LabVIEW to crash in the manner you described. I have used the arrow keys to move large sections (10-15 VIs) of code, without any trouble.

This may indicate a problem with the LabVIEW installation. It would be worthwhile repairing or reinstalling LabVIEW.

Tanya Visser
National Instruments
LabVIEW Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,955 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author wildcatherder

As I indicated, I had the same problem with 8.5 and just DID a new installation of Labview 2009.

Since it is possible my three-monitor setup, which obviously requires more video memory, may be at the root of the problem, I am satisfied with the workaround of dragging the objects near their final destination and then using the arrow keys.  

Three monitors are ideal for front panel, block diagram and Help/Internet/Probe Window.  When I had to work in the field with only one monitor, I felt severely handicapped.

You may consider the matter closed.

Thanks for attempting to duplicate the failure.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,948 Views)

I have the same issue, and have contacted NI tech support.  The reference number for this issue is 7294638.

BTW, I first noticed this issue in LV 2009, and have now suffered it in LV 2010 as well.

Rick

Message 9 of 13
(2,938 Views)

Although I knew I wasn't imagining it, I'm glad to hear someone has "made a case" of it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,928 Views)