From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView on Apple Silicon M1 Mac using Parallels Virtual Machine

I have been using LabView for many years on Intel-based Apple computers. In order to access my DAQ hardware drivers that are Windows-only, I've been using LabView running under Windows via Parallels virtual machines. 

I just got a MacBook Pro that uses the Apple silicon M1 processor. I have installed Parallels and Windows but I cannot get LabView to install under Windows. Actually it appears to install but then the system crashes on restart, similar to what is reported by user "emcware" here. The M1 Macs have been out for more than a year and I'm amazed that LabView does not work yet.

Does anyone have any experience or wisdom to share? Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
(2,066 Views)

Based on what I have read on a bunch of similar M1 processor threads in the LabVIEW board, NI has not officially supported the M1 processor. IIRC, the issue is somewhere inside how the drivers interact with Kernel.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,053 Views)

I am currently working on this same setup with parallels.  If something has changed or i can at least get to the measurement live I will let you know. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(858 Views)

LabVIEW 2023Q3 runs natively on Apple Silicon. Unfortunately it may also be the latest version to run on Mac.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(804 Views)

How about hardware or drivers? 

NI Elvis III wasn’t doing the best when  a year ago. Running 3 different laptops right now, Air M1 chip, i7 windows 11, and p16 Thinkpad. Windows 11 was too new, and M1 wasn’t compatible with anything. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(434 Views)