LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView dbc-Translator

Hello everyone,

I have a little over a month to do a project through LabView. It is a program that needs to translate information from a dbc file (dbc battery file) to a specific battery system. In other words, my LabView program should be a translator of the dbc file, which we get from the customer - since I work in a company that deals with battery testing.

Could someone help me and give me some useful advice, link or tutorial, very specific to this issue of mine?

I would be very grateful.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,857 Views)

Crosspost. Was the conversion library I linked to not sufficient?  Also do you still have a month if you posted that 2 weeks ago?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,852 Views)

Crosspost II answered by me. It was just a starting point, if you need more information, tell us was you need to do.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,778 Views)

Hello Sir,

I posted on 3 different sites this special problem.

This came out to be posted two weeks later, I do not know why. I posted everything the same day.

I have a dbc-File, which needs to be converted, but I do not know where I am making my mistakes, because it cannot be properly converted. I could send the dbc-File that i have become from my company to You. Maybe it could work out.

I need to give the programm in 5 days. Wed 04/07/2021.

So, if you want, you could tell me, which program is appropriate and maybe to take a little look into that dbc-File.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,725 Views)

Hello,

would it be a problem for You, if we could text directly - messaging.

If it is easier for You (in case You know the German language) we could chat.

It is not much I am asking for. You would be a massive support and help for me.

Thank You very much!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,724 Views)

Hi irfan,

how are you related to the OP christruk?

@irfangojak wrote

I have a dbc-File, which needs to be converted, but I do not know where I am making my mistakes, because it cannot be properly converted. I could send the dbc-File that i have become from my company to You. Maybe it could work out.

How do you want to convert that dbc file? What is the target/goal format?

What have you tried so far?

Where are you stuck?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,707 Views)

Hello sir Gerd

i use Mr. Hooovahh's software library to make the dbc file I got from my employer as a copy of what a dbc file looks like from customers we get from a battery system testing firm. In this case, the dbc file must be converted into resources (data) that would be readable for the BaSyTec system (battery system used as software for testing batteries, overcharging and discharging batteries), so that all important information such as SOC can be seen. - State of Charge, resistance, current, voltage and other things that come in the dbc file as CAN information). This is also the only thing I have left to do, since no one in our company has much experience with it. If you want I can send that dbc file, so you can take a look at what it looks like and what the best solution would be.

P.S. How I am connected to the OP I really don't know. What is written at the beginning as the initial and the first text was written by me. I really don't know why it was published after two weeks. I posted on this forum, on Reddit and Stack. It's about one and the same person, me.

Thanks and all the best.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,698 Views)

Hi irfan,

@irfangojak wrote:

to make the dbc file I got from my employer as a copy of what a dbc file looks like from customers we get from a battery system testing firm. In this case, the dbc file must be converted into resources (data) that would be readable for the BaSyTec system (battery system used as software for testing batteries, overcharging and discharging batteries), so that all important information such as SOC can be seen. - State of Charge, resistance, current, voltage and other things that come in the dbc file as CAN information). 

You need to ask those BaSyTec provider of how their "resources file" need to look like - this is a LabVIEW forum with LabVIEW users!

Again I have to ask:

How does the result need to look like? Can you provide examples?

What kind of data does that BySaTec software expect? Why don't they support DBC files when they apparently have access to the CAN bus?

@irfangojak wrote:

If you want I can send that dbc file, so you can take a look at what it looks like and what the best solution would be.

This should have been done 3 weeks ago, with your first message in this thread…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,683 Views)

Hello, Mr. Gerd,

BaSyTec systems are relatively old (from the 90s of the last century) and unfortunately do not support "Charge Current Limitations". BaSyTec must obtain this information, what are the tolerances of the battery power supply in a particular system. Therefore, the current value must be extracted from the CAN file. The CAN program cross-section must also be achieved via Gustav Klein. As for the theoretical part, I'm done. It is only necessary to show in practice that it works. By April 7, 2021, I will send the theoretical processing, after that I have as much time as needed, until everything is functionally in order. Gustav Klein apparatus and BaSyTec are connected. With the help of LabVIEW program, it is necessary to convert the dbc file into HEX CODE which BaSyTec will understand. Crypt. The CAN message should be understood by the BaSyTec system.

To your question: "What type of data is needed for BaSyTec to" understand "what current limits are, the answer would be - most often it is HEX CODE"

In addition, a useful link in English: https://basytec.de/en/en_main-2/

I apologize if I'm boring or tiring, but I don't have much experience with XNet profiles and LabVIEW specific applications for this purpose, there is also no one to show me and guide me. There is not much information on the internet regarding this specific problem. So my last hope is this forum.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,673 Views)

Hi Irfan,

@irfangojak wrote:

BaSyTec systems are relatively old (from the 90s of the last century) and unfortunately do not support "Charge Current Limitations". Therefore, the current value must be extracted from the CAN file.

Which "current value" do you want to "extract" from your CAN DBC file?

Do you even know what a DBC file contains? A DBC file just contains definitions of messages sent over a CAN bus, and definitions of the signals within those messages. It does NOT CONTAIN any actual measurement data!

@irfangojak wrote:

BaSyTec must obtain this information, what are the tolerances of the battery power supply in a particular system.

The power supply should be a part of that BaSyTec battery tester system, so "BaSyTec" should also know the tolerances of that power supply.

What kind of "tolerances" are you talking about?

@irfangojak wrote:

The CAN program cross-section must also be achieved via Gustav Klein.

Who is Gustav Klein? And what is a "cross section" of a "CAN program"???

@irfangojak wrote:

With the help of LabVIEW program, it is necessary to convert the dbc file into HEX CODE which BaSyTec will understand. Crypt.

As said before: a DBC file contains just the definitions of messages and signals, which are transferred over a CAN bus. Which kind of "HEX CODE" to you want to receive after your "cenversion"???

What do you mean by "Crypt."?

@irfangojak wrote:

The CAN message should be understood by the BaSyTec system.

So that BaSyTec system is able to listen to your CAN bus? Then it should be able to read DBC files on its own to know how to "understand" CAN messages!

@irfangojak wrote:

To your question: "What type of data is needed for BaSyTec to" understand "what current limits are, the answer would be - most often it is HEX CODE"

This is no answer to my question, as "HEX CODE" doesn't mean anything to us.

I hate to repeat myself, but I need to:

How do you want to convert that dbc file? What is the target/goal format?

What have you tried so far?

Where are you stuck?

Can you provide example data (DBC file) and an example of the expected "result after conversion"? Don't forget to provide anexample and explanation of that "HEX CODE"…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,646 Views)