From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView Use

I recently completed the online training for LabView.  I'd like to learn more about the application of LabView in a product environment. Is it for simualtion of a system, software or hardware products under development?  Is it for simulating test equipment to inject signals into the equipment under test?  Can it be used in the testing of mobile applications, web interfaces and user interfaces?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,259 Views)

Hi Guru,

@NI_Not_A_Guru wrote:

Is it for simualtion of a system, software or hardware products under development?  Is it for simulating test equipment to inject signals into the equipment under test?  Can it be used in the testing of mobile applications, web interfaces and user interfaces?

Yes.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,239 Views)

After completing the training, you should be aware that it is spelled LabVIEW (note the letter case). 😄

LabVIEW is a fully featured programming language, so it can do anything you want with it, even without interfacing to any external hardware. In the end, everything is just bits, one way or another.

A program takes inputs (user interaction, data from a sensor, data from the web, etc.etc.), processes them and acts according to whatever it is designed to do.

There is a rich set of hardware and associated drivers that can be used for input and output and there are many toolkits and modules that lets you take thing even further such as running on an embedded real time target or FPGA.

For some examples, start reading here, but of course you can use it for whatever you want. What do you have in mind? Once you have a specific plan, post again and we'll give more specific advice.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,238 Views)

Thanks for the very quick reply.   I am looking at using it in the automation testing of user interfaces for mobile applications for IOT based products.  This is in the proposal phase of making a pitch to a firm wanting assistance with evolving from a manual based testing approach to an automated testing approach at the mobile and web interfaces.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,230 Views)

@NI_Not_A_Guru wrote:

Thanks for the very quick reply.   I am looking at using it in the automation testing of user interfaces for mobile applications for IOT based products.  This is in the proposal phase of making a pitch to a firm wanting assistance with evolving from a manual based testing approach to an automated testing approach at the mobile and web interfaces.

Even though all programming languages can do all things, not all languages do all things equally well.  This happens to be in LabVIEW's wheelhouse.  LabVIEW should be well-suited for this kind of task.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,214 Views)

Perfect !   Can you point me to sample projects and/or templates that show how to design a LabView Program to provide an example of this type of usage.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,208 Views)

If you have LabVIEW installed, then you have access to its extensive example library.  There are examples of how to set up various kinds of automated testing.

Help --> Find Examples...

If you need help with a ground-up redesign, I suggest you enlist the help of an NI Alliance Partner.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,203 Views)