LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView Memory allocation problem

Hi all,

I am recently using Labview (32-bit) with NI ELVIS III to map an acoustic profile. However, I am facing a problem with the memory allocation; some of the data is missing and I am not being able to collect all of it.

My data size is a matrix of approximately 5000x5000x5000 elements because of the required resolution, did anyone face such a problem before with such a big data?!

Is there a way to fix this? or somehow increase the memory capacity of Labview?!

Please advise.

Thank you!!! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,189 Views)

If your datatype is DBL, 5000x5000x5000 translates to 1TB. Certainly not something any 32 bit application is able to manage. 32 bit applications are limited to 4GB (or even less, depending on the OS). (Details).

(Your specifications are unreasonable no matter how you look at it, even in 64bit LabVIEW)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,178 Views)

It's worth thinking about efficiency and reasonability beyond your question. For example what possessed you to attach a text file containing two words. There are significantly better ways to relay that information. 😮

Doing basic math and becoming familiar with computing units and quantities is a key skill you need to acquire. Your question is like asking us why you cannot pull a gigantic freight train with your tricycle. It makes no sense! 🙂

You exclusively talked about "memory", so we had to assume that's how you are trying to process the data. If you can stream the data to disk and can process it in small chunks, that would allow you to do something, but it will still take a very, very long time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,152 Views)