From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW2009: How to replace new Icon Editor with old one?

Solved!
Go to solution

Colleagues,

I really don't like the new icon editor introduced in LabVIEW 2009:

That was nice attempt to make "embedded Photoshop" with lot of features:

01NewIconEditor.png

But I really don't like it, because:

- it opened EVERY TIME on the RIGHT monitor (I have three monitors, and primary monitor in the middle) 

- it takes lot of time for launch (old icon editor was started momentally)

- from usability point of view - it was wrong to place tools on the right side. Commonly they located on the left side (and only in old icon editor, but also in imageprocessing software like Adobe Photoshop). Also front panel UI design... hmmm... this can be better...

- some bugs or changed functionality (for example - select ROI, then press <Del> button - nothing happened)

etc...

Is it possible to replace it with old one:

01OldIconEditor.png

Ideal solution will be - simple switch between both editors (some introduced features are not so bad).

Thanks in advance, 

Andrey.

Message Edited by Andrey Dmitriev on 01-29-2010 11:00 AM
Message 1 of 6
(3,353 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrey_Dmitriev

Go into <LabVIEW>\Resource\Plugins and rename lv_icon.vi. This is the plugin that's called when you invoke the icon editor, and if it's not there, LV reverts to the built-in editor (at least today. I'm not sure how many versions ahead they will keep the code).

You should note that the editor is open source, so you can go in and change what you want (or save yourself time and use the changes others have made, such as PJM's thread here. You may also want to look at the other discussions in that group).

And when you read the main blog for tst's link you will also find bugfixes for the new IconEditor...
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 6
(3,335 Views)

Thank you very much! It works!

Also very nice that icon editor is open source and unlocked, so everyone can change it if something wrong. Sure, I 'll do that when time permit.

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,323 Views)

this new icon editor is terrible. it is beyond frustrating.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,994 Views)

If you find it frustrating, I suggest you go the group I linked to earlier and provide specific feedback about what you dislike. That way, the guy who writes it actually has a chance of making it better.

Personally, I think it's much better than the old one. My main problem with it is that it loads a lot of VIs, so it takes a while to launch on first call and takes up RAM. But since I got a new computer recently, this bothers me less.

What are your problems with it? Have you tried any of the updates mentioned earlier in the thread?

(2,970 Views)