From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW to C code

Solved!
Go to solution

I was wondering if there is any possible way to convert my LabVIEW VI (build with timed loops and case stuctures) into a C based code or anything that is closely related to C code. The reason being that most of our custom built intruments are controled with C based code and we need to incorporate labview in C.

cheers

Message 1 of 14
(4,226 Views)
No, you cannot convert to C but you could create a dll from the LabVIEW code and call it in another language.
Message 2 of 14
(4,223 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AD_7777
To add: just be aware that if you create a LabVIEW DLL the target machine will need the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine installed. This is for the same reason that you need Java installed in order to run Java code, or the Matlab Run-Time installed to use Matlab DLLs, or .NET installed to use .NET assemblies, or ....
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,192 Views)

What about LabVIEW 2011 C Generator:

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/1B7E91154AA76236862578D40049E9CD

Does this change the game?

Don

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,595 Views)

I t appears that the labview to c code generator only works for 2011 and prior.  What gives?  Why doesnt it work for 2014?  Is there going to be a product for the 2014 released soon or something?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,318 Views)

@id wrote:

I t appears that the labview to c code generator only works for 2011 and prior.  What gives?  Why doesnt it work for 2014?  Is there going to be a product for the 2014 released soon or something?

Nope.  I am pretty sure that that product is completely dead in the water.

If I'm remembering correctly, that product was to allow writing LabVIEW code that could go into embedded products.  Since then, NI started making sbRIO boards that are completely LabVIEW in an embedded product.  So without a revenue stream for the C Code Generator, that product ceased to exist.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,308 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

If I'm remembering correctly, that product was to allow writing LabVIEW code that could go into embedded products.

This part is correct, as stated above you would normally need the RTE even after building a dll so this is how you would get around that for third party embedded systems.

We do still have a product page up for the NI LabVIEW C Generator which simply mentions under pricing that you should contact your local sales representative if you are interested.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209015

If you are still interested in the the LabVIEW C Generator for the reasons that crossrulz pointed out, I would contact your sales representative to see what is available.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,300 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209015

If you are still interested in the the LabVIEW C Generator for the reasons that crossrulz pointed out, I would contact your sales representative to see what is available.

I remember asking about the price once and it was something crazy like $10K-$15K a year.  I could be wrong, so double check if you are really interested.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,288 Views)
That's the price I remember as well. It only supported a subset of the LabVIEW functions as well. What is your purpose for converting to c?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,278 Views)

The software empires that rule this industry are all text editor people.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,270 Views)