Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

@_Bryan wrote:

@old_fart wrote:

After three RFQs and six emails, I received a quote from NI.   I had requested the Professional Development System, PN 776678-35.   The quote states Windows, All Languages.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume then this is not cross-platform like the subscription license?   While there is no mention of the authentication in the quote,  I want to make sure that what you are offering is like the original perpetual license with no need for an internet connection. 

At over 3X the previous costs,  I can't say that it is worth it for our company or not. We have pretty much resigned to the locked license and may decide to just continue down that path until the software no longer runs while we work on a transition but it is good to know it's an option. 

I guess I did not get any deal when I requested a quote either, but your quote seems better than what I received.

Bryan, I reached out to you privately to understand the quote you received and see how I can help.

Ahmed Eisawy | Director of Test Software Commercialization | +1 (503) 453-9178 | ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 851 of 1,034
(1,125 Views)

@AhmedEisawy wrote:

Danny,

You're right, we have all the feedback we need from this thread, and hence, we're not asking for more feedback.

We're asking for more time for us to digest all the feedback and act on it. Hence, the change we made was unannounced.

It's a step forward, towards correcting previous decisions, but it's not enough. We plan on doing more and you'll hear about it this year.

For your question specifically, you don't need to call anyone.

You just go to the LabVIEW Select Edition page: https://www.ni.com/en/shop/labview/select-edition.html 

Then, click on "Perpetual development licenses": 

AhmedEisawy_0-1717777989608.png

It'll take you to the bottom of the page to request a quote:

AhmedEisawy_1-1717778055738.png

Then, our sales development engineers will call you with a quote and offer you a discount. 

These discounts are approved by me so if you feel you need more, please reach out to me.

Hi Since you sent me the link, I have twice made a request for a quotation now, the last one a week ago and I have heard nothing at all  😓. It gets very frustrating and disheartening.

A suggestion, you really should implement an automated reply email to such a request, then I as a customer have a record of the interaction. all one actually gets is a message on the web page promising a reply in two days time. Is an automated reply really that difficult ?

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
0 Kudos
Message 852 of 1,034
(1,026 Views)

@old_fart wrote:

After three RFQs and six emails, I received a quote from NI.   I had requested the Professional Development System, PN 776678-35.   The quote states Windows, All Languages.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume then this is not cross-platform like the subscription license?   While there is no mention of the authentication in the quote,  I want to make sure that what you are offering is like the original perpetual license with no need for an internet connection. 

At over 3X the previous costs,  I can't say that it is worth it for our company or not. We have pretty much resigned to the locked license and may decide to just continue down that path until the software no longer runs while we work on a transition but it is good to know it's an option. 

My apologies that it has taken so many request on your part for NI to respond.  I know Ahmed is looking into that.  In the meantime, I'm happy to provide the following information about your request in response to your statements and questions below.

• All LabVIEW Development Systems are sold as a specific OS, so that we know which installer to send you (or link you to if you selected a downloadable installer).  However, all purchases include access to the other supported OSes for situations where you need to support multiple OSes.  These terms are specified in the End User License Agreement, in section F, under "LabVIEW".
  • The activation of NI software can be performed online or offline.  In either case, the actual activation step requires an internet connection to authenticate your specific license to the machine you will be using.  Once that step is performed, perpetual licenses require no other connection to the internet and can be used entirely offline if your scenario requires it.  That said, the subscription licenses can also be used in these scenarios but they do require re-authorization during the renewal step, but that part can also be performed offline.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 853 of 1,034
(985 Views)

@_Bryan wrote:

@old_fart wrote:

I guess I did not get any deal when I requested a quote either, but your quote seems better than what I received.

About $14k USD for the professional.  So they want about 3 years out of you.  They don't really advance the tools enough to justify it.  The benefit would be adding more licenses if we decided to continue to use Labview in the future which I just don't see happening at this point.  Just one more nail in the coffin is all I see. 

0 Kudos
Message 854 of 1,034
(939 Views)

@danny_t wrote:

@AhmedEisawy wrote:

Danny,

You're right, we have all the feedback we need from this thread, and hence, we're not asking for more feedback.

We're asking for more time for us to digest all the feedback and act on it. Hence, the change we made was unannounced.

It's a step forward, towards correcting previous decisions, but it's not enough. We plan on doing more and you'll hear about it this year.

For your question specifically, you don't need to call anyone.

You just go to the LabVIEW Select Edition page: https://www.ni.com/en/shop/labview/select-edition.html 

Then, click on "Perpetual development licenses": 

AhmedEisawy_0-1717777989608.png

It'll take you to the bottom of the page to request a quote:

AhmedEisawy_1-1717778055738.png

Then, our sales development engineers will call you with a quote and offer you a discount. 

These discounts are approved by me so if you feel you need more, please reach out to me.

Hi Since you sent me the link, I have twice made a request for a quotation now, the last one a week ago and I have heard nothing at all  😓. It gets very frustrating and disheartening.

A suggestion, you really should implement an automated reply email to such a request, then I as a customer have a record of the interaction. all one actually gets is a message on the web page promising a reply in two days time. Is an automated reply really that difficult ?

Danny, I'm sorry you were not contacted yet. I've asked the team to reach out to you. If you don't hear back, please let me know.

I know there is a "hanging" problem if you use Safari (as reported from another user) that I've asked IT to look into it.

I also like your suggestion about the automated reply to record the ask. Will look into it too.

Ahmed Eisawy | Director of Test Software Commercialization | +1 (503) 453-9178 | ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 855 of 1,034
(931 Views)

Deal or no deal?

It's listed at ~$14K for that P/N from one of their distributors:

https://www.newark.com/ni/776678-35/labview-software-professional/dp/15AJ5392

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 856 of 1,034
(930 Views)

@AnalogKid2DigitalMan wrote:

Deal or no deal?

-AK2DM

Thanks for the link.  I wish you had posted prior to attempting to fill out their on-line RFQ.  The numbers match.  I am at a loss why their website didn't just provide this link if they are just using the retail prices. 

0 Kudos
Message 857 of 1,034
(859 Views)

Deal or no deal?

-AK2DM

Hmm, at this point I have for the most part replaced LabVIEW with C# and Python in my developers toolsets, and it's good, so I'm not sure why I would pay so much to go back. Looks like No Deal for me.

Further reading: 

- I learned a good/hard software architecture lesson with LabVIEW; never align your team with a tool that requires a license (even a free one) to see your own source code. 

- Being able to use git is a hard requirement these days, LabVIEW struggles hard here. Having to deal with corrupted project files from botched merges and trying to figure out if someone actually changed a VI or just moved a wire, ugh I don't miss that. 

- LabVIEW is not innovative, it was 20 years ago but it is no longer. Ever since subscriptions started the year to year new features have predictably turned to a trickle. 

I agree. $13,862.00 is no deal. My old company will use a pointed stick and a rock before they pay that.

Message 859 of 1,034
(721 Views)

@daphilli wrote:

I agree. $13,862.00 is no deal. My old company will use a pointed stick and a rock before they pay that.

Our sales development engineers should be able to discount the price based on your needs so please don't feel it's a "take it or leave it" kind of situation.

Once more, our work to re-enable perpetual option for our development software has just started so we appreciate your patience working through the less-than-ideal process we have enacted for the short-term, until we have a more streamline process in the near future.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me (direct message in the forum) to get the support you need.

0 Kudos
Message 860 of 1,034
(653 Views)