LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

The biggest problem in this model is that if I stop paying my code is useless since all Vis are binary.

If only in could provide limited free of charge 'minimal' LabVIEW experience for commercial use so people don't end up with useless binary files. Something like notepad++ for textual languages.

Money still could be made on advanced features like debugging, quick drop, code refactorings, libraries.. not to mention FPGA and RT module.

Message 91 of 752
(2,896 Views)

@pawhan11 wrote:

The biggest problem in this model is that if I stop paying my code is useless since all Vis are binary.

If only in could provide limited free of charge 'minimal' LabVIEW experience for commercial use so people don't end up with useless binary files. Something like notepad++ for textual languages.

Money still could be made on advanced features like debugging, quick drop, code refactorings, libraries.. not to mention FPGA and RT module.

I agree that a free viewer is important.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 92 of 752
(2,888 Views)

@WavePacket wrote:

One thing that has struck me (as a newcomer) is that all of "senior devs" that I know who have been involved deeply in LV for many years on this forum are all pretty united in their concerns. Those optics alone make me concerned.

Yeah I had a signature on the forums for a while that said something like "If 10 out of 10 experts agree on something, they are probably right."  And it came from a thread on the forums where several CLAs couldn't agree on the right way to do something.  And to be fair that is because there are many good ways to do the same thing.  But if a group of experts who enjoy arguing nuance, all agree on something?  You better listen.  To that point I don't hear any supporting this change that aren't NI.

Message 93 of 752
(2,869 Views)

@Terry_ALE wrote:

@pawhan11 wrote:

I agree that a free viewer is important.

Yes. Otherwise, if you inherit an old LabVIEW project and want to convert it to Python or something else, you have to pay for the privilege.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 94 of 752
(2,865 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@WavePacket wrote:

One thing that has struck me (as a newcomer) is that all of "senior devs" that I know who have been involved deeply in LV for many years on this forum are all pretty united in their concerns. Those optics alone make me concerned.

... But if a group of experts who enjoy arguing nuance, all agree on something?  You better listen.  To that point I don't hear any supporting this change that aren't NI.

Yeah, I really agree with this assessment. The optics of this right now are NI being cash hungry and levering the trust their customers placed in NI many years ago. For newcomers, looking to make a fresh decision about what to invest in, what value prop or leverage does NI really have over .net & python? It's hard to see, especially when such newcomers want stability + fair cost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please join the conversation to keep LabVIEW relevant for future engineers. Price hikes plus SaaS model has many current engineers seriously concerned...

Read the Conversation Here, LabVIEW-subscription-model-for-2022
0 Kudos
Message 95 of 752
(2,844 Views)

To play devil's advocate (since I love to argue ;)) I could see this being a positive if:

1- NI released a free code viewer, and 2- NI dropped the subscription price to something much more inline with industry standards. I'd like them to continue offering permanent licenses, but if they could get their messaging more clear with the deploy/debug license then I could concede that point.

I will admit I didn't like subscription-only software plans for a long time, but I've warmed up to it a bit. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. It seems to me that lots of subscription-only software companies release features continually at a reasonable pace, rather than trying to bundle them up for annual releases to try to sell new seats each year. It makes for a much smoother experience. (Specifically I'm referring to Autodesk's Fusion 360).

What I do dislike is extremely expensive subscription pricing and NI's HARD focus on bundling a bunch of stuff I don't need. They should clarify you can get JUST LabVIEW for cheaper than the $2,000 cost of the "Test Workflow Standard" bundle. I do not want or need Flexlogger for the type of work I do, and I suspect many others are the same. You really have to dig to see that Flexlogger and DIAdem are costing you $336 a year extra. Again this doesn't affect me, because I'm already on a software lease plan, but the cost still seems very high and it'd be hard for me to recommend it to a new user.

Plus, you can get LabVIEW Base for $528 a year. When I go to NI's website now, I have to dig around to find their pricing and it looks like my cheapest option is $2000 for Test Workflow. That's going to turn people off and feels like a car salesmen trying to bundle things I don't need at the last minute.

0 Kudos
Message 96 of 752
(2,827 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

To play devil's advocate (since I love to argue ;)) I could see this being a positive if:

1- NI released a free code viewer, and 2- NI dropped the subscription price to something much more inline with industry standards. I'd like them to continue offering permanent licenses, but if they could get their messaging more clear with the deploy/debug license then I could concede that point.

A free code viewer and an affordable monthly subscription would go a long way to show that NI actually cares about their customers and isn't just out to grab more money. It would reassure a lot of their customers that you aren't locked into a long-term subscription. If you need to make a few tweaks you can just pay for a month or two. And if you decide to move to some other language, you're not locked in. You can do it without sending NI a bunch of money.

Now those conditions would actually force NI into investing in LabVIEW, because then people actually would have a realistic alternative to just perpetually paying NI. If NI just stopped investing in LabVIEW people could more easily leave (not completely painless, but possible without sending NI a large chunk of money). As is, leaving the NI ecosystem is a very expensive proposal and NI saying people could just leave is disingenuous at best.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 97 of 752
(2,803 Views)

I think all the points are valid here, but one question needs to be asked.

Is NI a hardware company or a software company?

For example, Apple makes developer tools and software to sell hardware. New, big customers of NI may just be using the hardware and not the software, thus, a disincentive to develop software tools.

As of now, it seems like NI is being greedy on both the hardware and software side.

On the brighter side, maybe in 20 years when all the LabVIEW software breaks due to some date format, we "retirees" can get called in to fix the problem just like those COBOL people, since nobody will know how to program LabVIEW.

Message 98 of 752
(2,752 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

I think all the points are valid here, but one question needs to be asked.

Is NI a hardware company or a software company?

For example, Apple makes developer tools and software to sell hardware. New, big customers of NI may just be using the hardware and not the software, thus, a disincentive to develop software tools.

As of now, it seems like NI is being greedy on both the hardware and software side.

Well in my experience the only reason to buy NI hardware was for easy LabVIEW integration.

If you don't need LabVIEW support there is usually far less expensive hardware available. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 99 of 752
(2,743 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Well in my experience the only reason to buy NI hardware was for easy LabVIEW integration.

If you don't need LabVIEW support there is usually far less expensive hardware available. 

A regional manager told me awhile back that a lot of new customers were using NI’s turnkey solutions rather than custom software writing.

It also seems NI has put a lot of effort into C, NET, and python support lately. When installing drivers I always get asked about C and NET libraries.

Message 100 of 752
(2,722 Views)