From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW restarting COM port?

Hi guys.

I have app on ATmega and when comes request from Labview app, ATmega starts sending data throught UART/USB (FTDI chip).

So i use VISA in Labview:

Yaamamoto_0-1584528726494.png

I notice when i run labview app its always reboot my ATmega. Its the same if i just disconect and conect USB to ATmega .

If i run Labview continously i can read data one more time and then is mega rebooted.

Its HW or SW fault?

If i use HyperSerialPort app i can smothly send comand to ATmega and then see comming data.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,051 Views)

The tiny blurry picture is worthless.  No one can debug a picture.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,020 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,004 Views)

Possibly one of the serial handshaking lines like RTS, or DTR is being used to toggle the  Atmega into a debug mode at the start so you are able to upload new firmware.

I believe that's how most Arduino's work and they are all based on Atmega chips   

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,998 Views)

So always i run LabVIEW is rebootet bcs Mega thinks i upload new code?

In datasheets from Board:

Yaamamoto_0-1584550530219.png

Is written just TXD and RXD is conect to Mega(USART, RX to TXD and TX to RXD).

But still 

@RTSLVU wrote:

Possibly one of the serial handshaking lines like RTS, or DTR is being used to toggle the  Atmega into a debug mode at the start so you are able to upload new firmware.

I believe that's how most Arduino's work and they are all based on Atmega chips   

makes sanse .

So its some way how to make Atmega dont go to debug mode from LabVIEW app?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,970 Views)

That is not the picture of the AT-Mega but the USB to RS-232 converter. And on there I see all the usual handshake lines like RTS, CTS, DSR, DTR and even DCD and RI signaling lines.

@Yaamamoto wrote:

So its some way how to make Atmega dont go to debug mode from LabVIEW app?

I would take a look at the VISA Initialize VI before your loop! I can't look at your VI as I only have LabVIEW 2018 installed on this machine but make sure the flow control is disabled (none). In addition you may need to force the RTS and/or DTR line state to a specific value after opening your port.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,917 Views)

You have right

Yaamamoto_0-1584610016750.png

DTR is connect to reset, i need use JP5 to deactivate this function.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,911 Views)