LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW driver make system blue screen

Hi guys,

My laptop turns to be blue screen the moment I connect PXIe 8371 using thunderbolt 3. 

I got the screenshot like this:

IMG-0940.jpg

It seems the flexrio system file is the reason of causing blue screen. My flexrio version is 18.7. I tried to uninstall and remove that system file, then it shows me another blue screen error info:

IMG-0947.jpg

This is endless, why would this happen...

And I tried second laptop, saw same thing...

Please help me with that. Really appreciate. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,207 Views)

Hi, In case you still did not find the root cause, I just found a solution: set in the BIOS the Kernel DMA Protection to OFF.

You can check in System Properties if it is set to ON.

Next, you have to give permission in the Thunderbolt settings to the device to connect.

It worked once, but then I cannot connect again over Thunderbolt... does not see my controller anymore after I disconnected it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,748 Views)

update: I had to remove the NI controller and add it again to the Thunderbolt settings (even though I clicked "Always connect").

At least it works... with some refresh each time you restart your system.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,747 Views)

I solved this problem by connecting to another chassis.. I would say this product still needs to be tested further by NI..

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,728 Views)

@zyb1003 wrote:

I solved this problem by connecting to another chassis.. I would say this product still needs to be tested further by NI..

Which product?  I'm going to hazard a guess that NI tests their products rather thoroughly.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,718 Views)

@zyb1003 wrote:

The problem is more complex than that. Thunderbolt is an interesting technology that was invented by Intel and Apple but it's implementation has been hampered by various and often very contradicting expectations of the different parties involved.

The technology is basically a combination of Display Port and PCI Express and while PCI Express in theory specifies how to operate multi-bus systems such as what NI did with their PXI chassis, the reality is that multi bus implementation in PCI is usually barely or not working at all. And the first culprit in this is normally the BIOS itself. These BIOSes are rapidly developed for new computers to support new CPUs, chipsets, peripherals and usually tested to work with the hardware that is built into a specific computer design. PCI bus extension is seldom on the priority list of any of these manufacturers and often doesn't exist at all on the feature list of most. The result is that most BIOSes are not ever tested that PCI bus extension even works. And consequently it usually doesn't.

NI can do a lot of things but they can't force PC manufacturers to make BIOSes that support these things properly and pretty much all PC manufacturers are already working on the next design by the time the previous one starts to get produced and the incentive to fix bugs in PCI bus extension management is just about non existent.

They did abandon their own MXI solutions in favor of Thunderbolt because hardware development has been getting very complex and costly and most computers don't have many (if any) built in expansion slots for such cards anymore. In hindsight they may have trusted to much in the marketing hype of Intel (and less so Apple who rather would have kept it as their own superior standard) and that Industry would adapt this bus in the same way as what has happened with USB in the past. And the existence of USB of course hasn't helped as it is in many cases more than good enough for many applications. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 6 of 6
(1,712 Views)