From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Wrapper to a driver DLL Call - VI Example

Hi!,

Is there a place where I can find the VI that is described ( Figure 6 )
within this tutorial document:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/97A3DCC557FFAF7086256D2C0057DECE

Thanks in advance !
Mario
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,097 Views)
Mario,

I suggest replying to this thread with more details about your end-goal. I think Figure 6 in the document you referenced is intended to demonstrate a convention or communicate a development guideline, not to represent a specific solution for a particular piece of hardware that you might have.

You can quickly recreate the entire diagram, including the Call Library block, for yourself, in a minute or two. The idea is that you would configure the Call Library node to call a function from your hardware-specific DLL, and the inputs and outputs will be different than what you see in the figure.

As I say, though, if you provide more details about what you're trying to accomplish, the forum will probably have additional advice for you.

Regards,
John
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,065 Views)
John,

I'm new with LabView and I have never build any VI before.
I have ~15 API functions from a DLL library to wrap within VIs.
Then I want to build an LLB with these VIs.

I read the tutorial "Porting a Windows PCI Device Driver to LabView" document
and I saw the example in Figure 6.

ya, I know the example is very basic, the logic is very simple.
However I have never build any VI before and it is a bit confusing how to find
and connect all these boxes for the first time.

That's why, I am looking for an example as starting point for my work.

Regards,
Mario

Message Edited by okidoki on 05-06-2005 12:36 PM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,056 Views)
Mario,

Well, someone here will no doubt be happy to crank out the code, but I would really suggest going through the exercise yourself. The reason is that you are going to have to modify the basic shell for your various different function calls, and I'll bet the time spent creating the generic template will pay off with quicker modification time (and debug time) as you go through the function list and test the calls out.

One key thing, though: you should make sure to create a VI template, as the tutorial suggests. This is a matter of getting the generic shell built and then choosing Save As, switching Save as Type to "Templates" and giving the VI a .vit extension. Then, each time you start a new function, you can choose File >> New... (to get the big dialog window), then click the Browse for Template button near the bottom left corner and select your template. This will create a new unsaved VI from your template and ensure that you don't accidentally overwrite that template.

Regards,
John
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,051 Views)