LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Windows Server compatibility

Hello All,

Does anyone know where I can find more detailed LabVIEW Windows Server compatibility than: https://www.ni.com/nl-nl/support/documentation/compatibility/18/labview-and-microsoft-windows-server... 

My customer is using Windows Server 2019 and I'd like to know what would be typical things in e.g. LabVIEW 2020 that make it incompatible with server 2019.

Please advise.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,507 Views)

Well, NI doesn't support Windows Server. Generally you can install LabVIEW built executables on such a system but as a Windows Server can be configured with many different things there is no trivial list of things that can be named that will or will not work.

I never tried to install the LabVIEW IDE on a Windows Server system though and while LabVIEW itself may likely run and startup I can imagine serious problems with some of the support packages and Toolkits such as Realtime and FPGA :-).

The problem is that Windows Server is usually both IT managed and highly configurable with many different extra services that make each Windows Server installation potentially a very different computer. Add to that the fact that it costs more and usually is on computers where the average user has minimal rights to do things on and that all makes it totally unsuited for a development machine. You do not want to have to go to the IT admin everytime you want to install an additional Toolkit or driver.

For a built application things are not as grave but the potentially very different configuration of computers makes it an unsupportable thing for NI and the safe thing is to say: "It's not supported!"

In clear text this means, it is likely to work if you don't use exotic custom .Net components, and hardware driver installation may challenge the IT admins patience in what rights he has to give a particular application, and if it doesn't work, NI doesn't have to support it. As long as your application is limited to use standard Windows APIs and network communication, there is likely not much that will be of a problem aside from having a system administrator who doesn't really know how the low level things in application security configuration work in Windows Server.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 6
(1,470 Views)

We have developed LabVIEW and LabVIEW FPGA on windows server for almost a year. No issues have been observed.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Message 3 of 6
(1,459 Views)

Thanks Rolf there are some interesting points you raise regarding compatibility, however the link I included does show compatibility with Windows Server for the latest versions of LabVIEW.

So my question remains unanswered for now.

It might as simple as it was never tested on those platforms and hence there is no compatibility statement (something you (Rolf) also mention as a potential reason).

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,458 Views)

Ahh I see. I was under the impression that NI doesn't support Windows Server at all.

In terms of the support you ask about, LabVIEW 2020 on Windows Server 2019, this simply has not been tested. Windows Server 2019 is in principle also simply Windows 10 with a different configuration to make it more suited for server use. These settings make it less suited for interactive local users working on the system and that makes it potentially problematic with the LabVIEW IDE but shouldn't have to much of an influence for applications itself.

In addition on Servers, all the users have typically much more limited access rights which can interfere with rights needed to work with hardware drivers. So that is always a concern to be aware of.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,446 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Ahh I see. I was under the impression that NI doesn't support Windows Server at all.

In terms of the support you ask about, LabVIEW 2020 on Windows Server 2019, this simply has not been tested. Windows Server 2019 is in principle also simply Windows 10 with a different configuration to make it more suited for server use. These settings make it less suited for interactive local users working on the system and that makes it potentially problematic with the LabVIEW IDE but shouldn't have to much of an influence for applications itself.

In addition on Servers, all the users have typically much more limited access rights which can interfere with rights needed to work with hardware drivers. So that is always a concern to be aware of.

I thought this as well, but apparently we were wrong.  I could've swore that it was true, though.  Maybe it's a "recent" development?  It was last updated last week.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,424 Views)