LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Student Edition Installation on External Hard Drive

I'm trying to install LabVIEW 8.0 Student Edition on an external USB Hard Drive.  I'll be using the student edition to teach a data acquisition class this fall.  I use LabVIEW 8.0 on my internal hard drive and for regular work and I don't want the student edition version to conflict with the professional version.  When I run the Student Edition installation disk and select my external hard drive (F:\) as the location to install LabVIEW, I get the message: "No Software will be installed or removed." for my Installation Summary.

Is it possible to istall a full working version of LabVIEW on an external hard drive?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,878 Views)

I don' think this will work as you have to provide a computer number for your activation.  If you ever change computers, this will be an issue.

See this discussion forum for more info.  http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=127957&requireLogin=False

Remember you can legally install your copy of LabVIEW onto three different computers as long as they are under one user name.

Hope this helps!  If not, let me know!

Dan

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
Embedded and Industrial Control
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,856 Views)
Also, external harddrives don't have the correct registry keys if moved from system to system. Only one install of each version of LV allowed per machine, regardless of how many HDs used.
Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,850 Views)
So if I install LabVIEW 8 Student Edition onto my internal hard drive, will it be able to run completely independently of LabVIEW 8 or 8.2 Professional?  Or will I end up with libraries and other tools available to me on my computer's Student Edition that my students won't have access to?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,818 Views)
Basically, you can have as many different versions (LabVIEW 7.1, LabVIEW 8.0, LabVIEW 8.2) of LabVIEW on your computer as you want at any time.  Each version can be a different development system (i.e. Full, Professional, Student).  This means you can have LabVIEW 7.1 Student Version, LabVIEW 8.0 Full, and LabVIEW 8.2 Professional without issue.  But you cannot have the same version with different development versions.  The means you cannot have LabVIEW 8.2 Student & LabVIEW 8.2 Professional.  You computer will automatically just use LabVIEW 8.2 Professional as this is the higher development system.

Let me know if I explained it well!!

Thanks!

Dan
Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,806 Views)

I've uninstalled LabVIEW 8.0 Professional on my machine.  I installed LabVIEW 8.2 Professional, then I installed LabVIEW 8.0 student edition.  When I opened 8.0 Student, LabVIEW 8.0 professional opened.  I went to the NI License Manager and deactivated LabVIEW 8.0 Professional, then activated LabVIEW 8.0 Student Edition with Mathscript.  When I opened LabVIEW 8.0, the Professional version still opened.  I double checked with the license manager, and the Professional Version is not activated and the Student version is.

What am I doing wrong?  How do I get the Student Edition Version to run when I the Professional version installed?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,787 Views)
I also ran regedit to check the registry.  I found that the serial number in my registry for LabVIEW 8.0 was the serial number for the professional version (even though I installed the student version with the student version serial number).  I changed the serial number to the student version serial number.  Under "Type" in my registry, LabVIEW 8.0 was listed as "Pro".  I changed this to "Student" and then restarted my computer.  When I opened LabVIEW 8.0, the Professional version opened, but the serial number changed to the Student edition serial number.  However, the professional version still opened, not the student version.  I ran regedit again and noticed that the "Type" had changed back to Pro after the I restarted.  I changed the "Type" back to student, then tried to open LabVIEW 8.0 again without restarting my computer, and the Professional version still opened.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,781 Views)
That is strange indeed.  We might have to uninstall all LabVIEW apps and just install the student version so that it is the only thing on the machine.  Then try activating just that.  If that works, then we can try to add LabVIEW 8.2.  If it doesn't work, let us know as there may be other ways to work around this.  If so, we will need to email you directly. 

Message Edited by Daniel E on 08-10-2007 03:40 PM

Daniel Eaton
National Instruments
Systems Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,760 Views)