From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Runtime Engine

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I have a LabVIEW stand alone executable installed on a workstation. This old executable was installed using an "Installer" .  I did not build this executable. Today, I built a new stand alone executable and I wish to distribute this new executable using an installer. For this new executable, should I include within the "additional installers"  the default LabVIEW Runtime engine? I am concerned about two, potentially different, LabVIEW Runtime engines being simultaneously installed. A second concern I have is overwriting the existing Runtime Engine and breaking the old executable. What should I do? Any info on how LabVIEW handles differences in Runtime Engines? Thanks! -  John 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,828 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nathan@home

LabVIEW can have multiple run-time engines installed.  So if you had a program that was built under LV 2017 and installed with the 2017 run-time, then later build another executable and installed with the 2018 run-time, those two run-times will coexist side by side.

Later, if you build another 2018 executable and an installer with 2018 run-time, when you go to install it, it will not install the 2018 run-time because it will recognize it already exists.

I often build an installer for new executables without including the additional installer and I'll use that for PC's that I know already have the run-time on it.  It just reduces the size of the installer.

Message 2 of 3
(2,812 Views)

Thank you Ravens! - Johnathan (Nathan@home)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,788 Views)