From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Run-Time Engine

Hi ,I have used Application Builder to make EXE file from my source files but I have noticed it is not possible to use this EXE file in another PC without LabVIEW because LabVIEW run-time engine is needed so I tryed Installer

but I have few questions and I would really appreciate if u help me

1- What kind of source files should be added to the installer?  I would like to install an EXE file and Data folder  so do I need to first use the application builder to make the application then add all the application files(EXE and Data folder) one by one to the installer or Do I need to add my LV files to the installer and LV make exe and data folder again for me?

2- I am using LV2010 and I would like to add run time engine for 2010 so I checked the box for LV2010 run time engine but many options are included to this engine like NI TDM,NI SSL etc ... and after making the installer I noticed the size of my file was so big (109MB) while I want to make a small size installer for email   .Is there any chance to reduce the size of installer by unchecking some of the options?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,636 Views)
  1. You build an executable first, then you build an installer for the executable. When building the installer, simply add the executable and LabVIEW will figure out what else is needed in the typical case.
  2. If you want a small installer, don't include the run time engine. Instruct your customers to donwload and install the free runtime engine from here.

Make sure they install the "standard", not "minimum" version. Also make sure they install the 32 bit version if your LabVIEW 32 bit, even if they install it under a 64 bit OS.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,634 Views)

Many thanks for your help

1- Do I need to add extra data files to the Installer too?

2- I just need the run a VI so if I uncheck some of these options is there any chance to reduce the size?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,629 Views)
  • You cannot run a VI using the run time engine. You can only run a built LabVIEW application (*.exe).
  • If you download and install the run time engine manually, you can uncheck all additional installers shown on your image. This will reduce the size of the installer dramatically)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,623 Views)

I installed the runtime engine on another laptop but I got another problem.In my main vi I have used LabVEW Multisim connectivity toolbox and in this LV file I suppose to load a multisim file and run it using this toolbox.

What I have done so far is installing the run-time engine manually and run the installer but I can't load the multisim files and the toolbox is not working,hence I tried to download and instal this toolbox but seems like I need to install LabVIEW properly then it will be possible to install this toolkit .Am I right mate?  also do u think I need to install Multisim too or just installing LabVIEW2010 and the connectivity toolbox is enough to run my application(EXE file) and load the Multisim files?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,605 Views)

I would really appreciate if someone help me on this matter.I have used some of Multisim connectivity toolbox blocks in my vi and I would like to know if I make exe file of my application and run it in another PC or laptop ( that have LabVIEW rin time engine) do I need to install this toolbox and Mutisim for that PC or laptop or not?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,561 Views)

I'm assuming you're referring to this toolkit: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-4088

I have no experience with this, but simply looking over it I can see that it's basically a bunch of wrapper VIs that call into Multisim. So, as far as a target application is concerned, the target computer would need to have MultiSim installed. Otherwise, the toolkit VIs have nothing to talk to. When you build the exe for your LabVIEW app, the toolkit VIs should automatically get included into your application since you are directly calling them. If you are by any change dynamically calling them, then you will need to add them in your "Dynamically loaded VIs" list in the "Source Files" section of the build spec.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,536 Views)

hi

Multisim is not installed on target computer but the user can manually load the Multisim files from the main VI.Also I couldn't find "Dynamically loaded VIs" list in the "Source Files" section of the build spec.There are only 2 sections there one is Startup VIs and the other one is olways included.Would you please let me know where is this section ?

What I want to do is to build the application and add all connectivity toolbox VIs and Multisim files to the Data folder to see whether I can connect to the Multisim file without installing Multisim or not.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,500 Views)