LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Programming using MAC address

Hi

I have a device which has MAC Address. I need to communicate to the device using ethernet, basically send and receive packets using custom protocol. Is anyone know how to program this in LabVIEW? If not possible in LabVIEW, is there any windows or 3 party dlls which does this job?.

Thanks
Abdulla

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,966 Views)
You said you want to communicate to the device using ethernet using a custom protocol. Does this mean you do not intend to use TCP/IP? Or, do you intend to use TCP/IP but the messages you send are custom? In other words, what's custom, the protocol, or the messages? If it's the protocol, good luck in designing basically a replacement to UDP, TCP/IP, or a myriad of other protocols that communicate over ethernet. If you're planning to use TCP/IP with your own messages, then LabVIEW has TCP/IP functions that allow you to send and receive messages to devices.

Oh, and a MAC address is just a unique identifier for the network interface of your device. If you intend to use TCP/IP you need an IP address which you can assign statically or get it dynamically if your network has a DHCP server and your device has a DCHP client.

I would suggest googling for a primer into network communications before delving too much into the actual programming.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,952 Views)