LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW OOP - Always pass through object?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I'm working on a rather big project right now which involves a quite a lot of LabVIEW OOP. While working with a few of the classes I was wondering what might be the "best" practice to handle the class object for dynamic and static dispatch VIs.

Recently I saw a nice presentation explaining when to pass variables and when not to. Since then I always try to stick to the recommendation to only wire data through an VI if it actually changes the value/ data. I have to admit that this simple rule does make it a lot easier to find the source for data manipulation on a cluster for example if you can skip all the VIs that only use the cluster as an input and not as an output.

So my question is, can I use the same approach for dynamic and static dispatch VIs or is there something special about the whole OOP thing I need to keep in mind when not wiring the class object through the VI?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(841 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jens_S

@Jens_S wrote:

So my question is, can I use the same approach for dynamic and static dispatch VIs or is there something special about the whole OOP thing I need to keep in mind when not wiring the class object through the VI?

There is nothing special about classes in this regard.  If a method is not updating a class, you do not need to pass it out.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(829 Views)

Thanks for you quick response 👍

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(806 Views)