Here is a minor one. I have a relatively simple VI that uses the VIPM API for adding, and adding and installing packages. I went to open it in LabVIEW 2011 SP1 F2 and it gave me an error saying it needed more memory to compile. I thought this was odd because I have a 16GB I7. Attached is a screen shot of the error, and task manager with plenty of memory available. At this time LabVIEW.exe was using about 180MB of Private Working Set memory.
The reason I say this is a minor issue, is because as soon as I screwed around with the VI long enough, it fixed it self. If I copied all the contents to a new VI it was fine. I also started deleting stuff in the VI. Once the BD was empty the error went away. Then I invoked Undo and put all my code back that I deleted, and it was fine.
Are you able to re-create the issue at all? Is there any chance that you can share the code? During this process, did you save the file at all, and/or close LabVIEW?
Are you on Win32 or Win64?
Are you on LV32 or LV64?
It sounds like you're asking questions that lead towards looking at the maximum virtual memory options for different LabVIEW options. If this were the culprit, it'd be unlikely he could undo and eliminate the error. He'd be using the same memory. It's also something we'd expect to see an issue with at runtime.
Sounds like some corruption in one of the VI. Some dataspace allocation got probably whacked on its head when saving the VI the last time and when loading the VI again for recompiling, LabVIEW tries to satisfy that corrupted dataspace allocation and runs out of memory. Fumbling with the diagram probably got rid of the corrupted object and from there on everything works fine.
Yeah sorry, this was on Windows 7 x64 LabVIEW 32-bit. Unfortunatly the VI is now gone. My focus was on fixing the VI and as soon as it was fixed I was happy and moved on, but then realized I should have kept the bad VI for NI to analyze. I figured this is several versions of LabVIEW back, and maybe fixed anyway. I just wanted to post so that if someone did come across this issue they would see it and know some ways to fix it, like copying the VI contents to a new one, or start messing with the BD by deleting everything then undo-ing.