LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW IDE crashing!

Hi there,

I have just run into some very strange behaviour in LabVIEW (7.0 on Win2k with service pack 2).

I have an event structure with several user events (about 12) listed in it. Everything was working fine yesterday. Today I tried to add another user event to the structure and LabVIEW crashed (giving usual cryptic error message saying referenced memory could not be read).

Now, I have experimented quite a bit, and have the following observations to give:

LabVIEW is happy adding more events until I try and add an event if the currently selected event is a Filter event (i.e Mouse Down?).
I have a certain Mouse Down? filter event, and if I change this to a non-filtered Mouse Down event then LabVIEW lets me add more event cases as normal. However, I need this to be a filtered event (i.e with the "?"), and in this case, the next I try and add results in the LabVIEW IDE crashing. I can add more events as long as I dont have a filtered event case currently selected, so I suppose this is a work-around.

To clarify, this occurs when I am trying to add events at design time, not at run time.

I tried to replicate this in a new VI, and everything works fine as expected 😞

I can't really attach the VI.

Has anybody else noticed behaviour like this???
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,607 Views)
A couple of suggestions:
1. Try opening the VI on a different computer\LV version.
2. Try copying all the code in the VI into another VI and see if this still happens.
3. Start deleting pieces of the VI until it stops (or there is nothing left).

(2,598 Views)
hi there

thanks for your suggestions

>> A couple of suggestions:
>>1. Try opening the VI on a different computer\LV version.
>>2. Try copying all the code in the VI into another VI and see if this still happens.
>>3. Start deleting pieces of the VI until it stops (or there is nothing left).

I tried options 2 (same crash) and option 3 (crash stops when I delete the Filter events) before I posted the question.

I have tried opening the VI on another PC (also Win2k) with the same version of LabVIEW and it also crashes.

sigh...

I suppose I am just going to have to work around it for now... strange bug...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,594 Views)
Option 3 was the important one and I meant you should try deleting other stuff (not the filter event) as much as possible.
Would this still happen if you delete everything but that control and that event (not start from scratch, like you did, but delete from the existing VI)? If not, then that is not the only source, and that's why you should delete different parts until you find what else causes it. Once you come up with that, it should hopefully be far enough from your original VI, and you will be able to post it.

(2,587 Views)