LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW FPGA Module Support for Windows 8

I have just bought a new laptop running 64-bit Windows 8.  After hours of setting up the computer and installing my usual suites of software, then I found out that the latest version of LabVIEW FPGA Module would not run on Windows 8.  Needless to say that I am very disappointed.  When will LabVIEW be fully supporting Windows 8?  I don't really want to downgrade Windows just because I want to run LabVIEW with it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,280 Views)

Frequently Asked Questions regarding LabVIEW and Windows 8

You did not say in what way LabVIEW FPGA was not working correctly. There is one KnowledgeBase article regarding hardware that indicates you should disable Fast Startup in order for your hardware to be detected.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/DF6372D57C15B20286257A4B0053DA1E?OpenDocument

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,273 Views)

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14281/en

The website above listed the FPGA module is not supported in Windows 8.  I will be happy if someone could tell me that I can program FPGA and upload the FPGA bitfile to a hardware target via Ethernet port on a Windows 8 computer.

LabVIEW FPGA Compile Farm 2012
LabVIEW FPGA IP Builder Not supported1
LabVIEW FPGA Module (ENGLISH) Not supported1
LabVIEW FPGA Module (Localized) Not supported1
LabVIEW FPGA Xilinx 10 Not supported1
LabVIEW FPGA Xilinx 13 Not supported1
LabVIEW Internet Toolkit Not tested2
LabVIEW Jitter Analysis Toolkit 2012
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,253 Views)

Hey MJ,

There are several incompatibilities between LabVIEW FPGA 2012 and Windows 8. As listed on the page linked above:

"1 - The Xilinx tools used by the FPGA Module do not officially support Windows 8."

This means that: the following may not work; Xilinx CoreGen IP, IP Integration Node, CLIP, iSim simulation, local compilation (compiling on a remote machine with a supported OS works). Note: existing IP (CoreGen, IP integration, CLIP) that isn't changed should still work, and downloading a bitfile to a target should also still work.

If your IP does not use any of the above features, you should be fine... but we can't check off on full validation of LabVIEW FPGA until everything works as expected, and thus Windows 8 isn't an officially supported OS at this time.

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,247 Views)

This may be a useful link for you if you plan on continuing development under Windows 8 (not recommended): Cannot Compile FPGA VIs on a Windows 8 computer.

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,238 Views)

Thanks T-REX$ for the information.

Does anyone know when Xilinx complier will be able to support Windows 8?  Are they working on this at all?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,225 Views)

Follow the below link:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14281/en

Since Xilinx is not supporting Win8 and NI tied up with Xilinx, anything to do with FPGA development and deployment cannot be done right now. It seems to be unless Xilinx releases a compatible version, you (rather we) cannot work on FPGA module on Win8.

I hope this issue will be recovered soon. Till then we have to be patient.

Also if there is any workaround for this, it is welcome to update on this post, so it will be useful for others.

Regards,

Sriram

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,208 Views)

@T-REX$ wrote:

This may be a useful link for you if you plan on continuing development under Windows 8 (not recommended): Cannot Compile FPGA VIs on a Windows 8 computer.

Would it be possible to virtualize XP or Linux in Windows 8 on the laptop and use the Remote Compile option to that virtual OS?

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,196 Views)

Yes, that is possible. You will still be missing some features though (IPIN, Xilinx CoreGen, ISIM, CLIP). If your goal is just to compile existing code, or to write new code without these features, then that should work for you. 

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,192 Views)

This is a repost, but this thread topic title is more related with the subject, so...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Why-does-my-FPGA-compilation-stop/td-p/2863954 5th message.

Hope this helps...

Message 10 of 10
(4,527 Views)