Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Embedded for Blackfin

Hello

Could somebody please assist with filling me in on a most confusing issue

This NI alliance comapny

http://railmonitor.ch/index_en.php?TPL=25000&x25000_ID=68

are selling kits which use the blackfin processor.

As far as I can tell by searching the NI website, the support for the blackfin processor has either become obsolete or rolled into another module/kit

Could somebody please shed some light on what actually is happening? Is it worth investing in these kits or will I eventually find myself at at brick wall? Should an alliance partner still be selloing these products if support from NI is ceasing etc.?

I've found that the information on the NI website both for the ARM and Blackfin processor requirements is very obscure

Thanks for your assistance and best regards

Ray

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,274 Views)

Would anybody from NI like to have a go at answering this one.

I suspect even they don't have much of a clue regarding these modules

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,245 Views)

Hi,

LabVIEW 2009 was the last version to support the Blackfin module.  But, I don't know anything about the specific product that you posted.  I would suggest you contact them to determine their support plan and see if it works for you.  They'll be the best source of information on their product.

Have a great day,

Justin Parker
National Instruments
Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,237 Views)

Hi Ray,

like Justin Parker mentioned, the "LabVIEW Embedded Module on Blackfin" is archieved with the Version 2009. With the optimization of the LabVIEW backend compiler, National Instruments has revised its product strategy and technology for microprocessor and -controller support. In the future, NI will be concentrating on a platform independant, world class C-Code-Generator that targets any 8/16/32-Bit microprocessor. The new code generator is designed more generic than its predecessors and translates default and custom LabVIEW VI's into lean and efficient ANSI-C-Code, with the exception of CPU- , kernel-, I/O- and debugging-access. While Tier1 devices of the “LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM-Microcontoller” product will remain in the default LabVIEW kit, the support for other platforms such as the Blackfin Family will be maintained by NI Alliance members from 2012. National Instruments, Analog Devices and Schmid Engineering are currently adapting the ADI Blackfin processor family to the new C-Code-Generator. A complete development suite with LabVIEW, C-Code-Generator, Compiler/Linker (VisualDSP++), Emulator and the ZBrain SDK will be available in Q1/2012. There's an upgrade/sidegrade model for todays LabVIEW-Blackfin-2009-Customers. The Story behind the link that you have posted is that Schmid Elektronik (aka Schmid Engineering) is an Alliance Member of National Instruments that specialized in deeply Embedded Hardware that is supported by LabVIEW since 2005. That includes the Blackfin Processor, the ARM Microcontroller and now also SBRIO platforms.

Cheers

Marco Schmid

Schmid Elektronik (aka Engineering)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,197 Views)